Forum Discussion

Zurq
Contributor II
3 years ago

Cox Increases Internet Preferred to 250mbps, from previous 150mbps.

Thanks cox!

they told me it was a permanent increase, and that everyone should have it if they are on Internet Preferred, and just to reset modem.

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

If you were content with your 150 Mbps, you may want to check its price from within your account.

When I initially signed up, I subscribed to their 150 Mbps plan and then a few years ago, Cox restructured their plans and upgraded (grandfathered) me from 150 to 200 Mbps at the same price.  Although I was getting more bandwidth at the same price, the price for the 150 Mbps plan had actually decreased.  I guess Cox forgot to mention this to me.

If Cox is recommending you "should have it," it's because Cox doesn't want you to pay a lower price.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

I don't see 200 Mbps on the Speeds and Data Plans chart.  Then again, I don't see my 150 Mbps either.  Someone cracked in da head.

dfrandin
    New Contributor

I got the email like everybody else, proceeded to reboot the modem via the webpage button. Checked speedtest and still at ~150mbps. Pulled the power to the modem, and rebooted the router, and then checked speedtest again.. Still ~150mbps.

Its not like I *need* 250mbps, but it would speed up Linux ISO downloads.. I've got an Arris CM8200A modem and an Asus Asus RT-N66U with FreshTomato firmware. What gives?

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @Dfrandin

Are you getting these speeds wireless, hard-wired to the modem, or hardwired to the router? If hardwired to the router try bypassing it also rebooting the modem. It still experiencing the same speeds after, email us your full name and address to cox.help@cox.com

Jonathan J
      Cox Moderator
      Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

You get pretty consistent 150 measurements, huh?  This is good.

As Jonathan recommends, you should remove the router from the test and directly connect testing device to modem.  If you can leave your device directly connected for a while, I'd also test during different times throughout the days, such as peak hours.

ppith
    New Contributor

I reset my modem, took a shower, and I am getting about 224 down and 10 up.  I wish the upload was faster though because I have two Nest cameras.  I realized you need to reset your modem every once in a while when it feels slow.  I just read the email they sent on March 16th today.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

You are on Preferred and Cox just increased from 150 to 250 Mbps?  This isn't a bad measurement if you were not directly connected to the modem.  If it was a direct connection, you lost about 10%, which would be a little high for overhead.  It appears you tested at about Prime Time.  Try another during non-peak hours.