Forum Discussion

vord
New Contributor
28 days ago

Choppy slow Internet tonight.

2.5Mbps and later 898Mbps and then back down to 1.98Mbps. I wish support was able to tell me what is going on with this but no help there.

7 Replies

• Hi vord. The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable, Telephone and High-Speed Internet services with other customers. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach out to us on Twitter at CoxHelp via DM, visit us on Facebook via private message, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Are you testing over WiFi, (Not accurate), or over ethernet? Are you using a wifi modem, or 2 separate pieces of equipment? 

Need information to help. 

vord
      New Contributor

The speed test is from a router directly connected to the cable modem.  And the problem has occurs 3 times in one week off and on.  The real problem is that the app says no internet problems.  However, COX is totally unreliable on report known problems.  This is really my complaint.  The support person goes through useless dialog and wastes your time.  This is nothing new.  However, COX should here about these complaints.  Too bad we get penalized with running over data limits or other charge but COX can never be penalized by us unless we take our business elsewhere.  Anyhow, thanks for the reply.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

Testing with your router is still going to be inaccurate, due to the fact that the router normally tests through to the mfg system, which means going through a long path instead of a testing directly to Cox, and that means the internet/routers/traffic is going to affect your outcome. I can test through speedtest.net to a router nearby, and a router on the other side of the country, and get 2 wildly different results. 

Back to my question, what modem/router are you using, and can you connect your computer direct to the modem, reboot the modem and run the speedtest off of 

https://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/speedtest.html

Vs - https://www.speedtest.net/result/16113869508

The first speedtest is through my local cox test, the other was to an AT&T site across the country, kinda like testing through your modem to an unknown site far from you. The local test is going to be a more accurate test. 

RayDoucetJr
    New Contributor II

Vord, you're going to get similar results whether plugged directly into the modem or run through a router. Three of my nephews and I have been fighting with Cox for years now to fix these types of issues with no results. Every time I visit any streaming site such as kick or twitch, the streamers with the very worst streams are always with the same ISP, Cox communications. Let's face it, most of us have no alternative, why should they actually fix anything when they can just do nothing cause we're stuck with them.

DannyS

Hello RayDoucetJr, the purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable, Telephone and High-Speed Internet services with other customers. This appears as if you may need for someone to look into your account personally due to the connection issues you have expressed.  We can definitely assist you with this.  Please reach us on Twitter at CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com anytime for assistance.  We are always happy to help. 

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

Maybe I can help. What kind of modem are you using, what speeds are you signed up for, and can you go to the modem page and pull a set of signal levels, (normally 192.168.100.1)

I am able to stream without issue, even with a tv running netflix at 4k.