Forum Discussion

Smarris
New Contributor
7 months ago

Blocked emails

Last week I setup a business email account through Google Workspace and Wix. I am using Outlook as my email client. I have followed all the instructions and triple checked to make sure that I did everything correctly.

The very first email that I sent was to my Cox.net personal email address to make sure that I had everything setup correctly. I received the following message in my business email inbox...

Message blocked

Your message to XXXX@cox.net has been blocked. See technical details below for more information.

LEARN MORE

This link will take you to a third-party site

The response from the remote server was:

552 5.2.0 <XXXX@theharrisinsurancegroup.com> sender rejected. Refer to Error Codes section at https://www.cox.com/residential/support/email-error-codes.html for more information. AUP#POL

This happens every time I send an email to an Cox.net address. I can receive emails from Cox.net, but cannot reply or send to them. I have spent hours on the phone with Wix, Google, and Cox. Both Wix and Google say that it is a Cox issue, especially given the website in the bounce back message. Cox just keeps passing me back and forth and then the call mysteriously drops.

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

**Email addresses edited by moderators to protect user privacy

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • I really wouldn't bother putting any effort into getting this fixed.  Cox no longer offers email as a feature of the Internet service.  Because of this, the only Cox customers that still have email are grandfathered in and their numbers are dwindling.  As their numbers continue to decline, I suspect Cox will likely make a public statement with respect to when they plan to sunset the email platform entirely.

Smarris
      New Contributor

Unfortunately, I need it fixed as many of my clients have Cox.net email addresses. 

TiffanyR

Hello Smarris, 

I am sorry that you are having difficulties sending emails to Cox.net email addresses. I can understand how important it is to get this resolved. According to the error message that you received 552 5.2.0 and the Postmaster site that explains the error codes, the emails you are sending contain a forbidden attachment extension. 

552 - [$(_id) attachment extension is forbidden]

The message has been rejected because it contains an attachment with one of the following prohibited file types, which commonly contain viruses: .shb, .shs, .vbe, .vbs, .wsc, .wsf, .wsh, .pif, .msc, .msi, .msp, .reg, .sct, .bat, .chm, .isp, .cpl, .js, .jse, .scr, .exe.

Ensure that your mailings do not contain attachments with these file types.

Can you remove all attachments, graphics, and signatures and see if you can send yourself an email with just test in the subject and body (please remove anything else)? If you do not receive the error, try adding back one thing at a time to figure out what is causing the error. If you continue to get the error with the first test email with just test in the subject and body, I recommend following the instructions at the bottom of the postmaster site titled "Contacting Cox for Assistance" https://www.cox.com/residential/support/email-error-codes.html If you need additional assistance, I recommend reaching out to us directly at cox.help@cox.com with your name, address, and a link to this thread.