Forum Discussion

Russ_Trotter
New Contributor
7 years ago

arris SB-6190, intermittent connection failure

hi folks, I'm kinda at my wit's end with this issue, but here's the low-down:

* i'm a cox ultimate internet subscriber

* last week, no internet, so i call up cox tech support, am told that it's probably my older modem went on the fritz to get a new one

* i purchase an arris sb-6190, call tech support back up to get it provide mac addr, get it provisioned, etc

* internet still not working, discover that there's actually a system-level outtage in my area and it's resolved some 25 hours later.

* discover that due to my "ultimate" package, old modem wasn't gonna work so must forge ahead with new sb-6190

* things are mostly OK, but getting persistent lossy outbound connections and seemingly dropped data, particularily in gaming

* do lots of digging online and discovers there's lots of things in play here, people having problems with SB-6190 due to Puma chipset and buggy firmware

* my particular SB-6190 firmware version is 9.1.93V (the latest) and that probably fixed prior issues

* I'm still having those same connection problems

At this point I'm quite stuck so I poke around on the SB-6190 status console (http://192.168.100.1/cgi-bin/status), armed with the arris support docs at http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB6190-Cable-Signal-Levels, and they are:

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 Locked ATDMA 3 5120 kSym/s 29.80 MHz 39.50 dBmV
2 Locked ATDMA 4 5120 kSym/s 36.30 MHz 41.00 dBmV
3 Locked ATDMA 2 5120 kSym/s 23.30 MHz 38.00 dBmV
4 Locked ATDMA 1 2560 kSym/s 18.40 MHz 37.50 dBmV

A few things I notice:

* arris recommends for 4+ channels ATDMA channels should have 5120 kSyms/s, in my case channel 1 is not this way

* arris also recommends minimum power levels of 45+ dBmV and all mine are below that

Does anybody think this could be the culprit for my issues or is there something else I should be doing?  Calling tech support has been a harrowing experience as most of the operators are addressing things at such a trivial level where if I bring up the concept of checking power levels they ask me to clear my browser cookies.  Ugh.  Any help/suggestions/things-to-try would be great

3 Replies

• Hi Russ, if you are experiencing lower than recommended power levels, we can schedule to have a tech come out and investigate. Please email us with your complete home address, best contact number and a link to this message. Include a description of the issue as well.
  • Hi Michael, great! that's at least something to try!  What's the correct email address for ya'll that I should be using?

thanks again

• Russ Trotter

Please send that information to: cox.help@cox.com. Thanks!

StephanieS
    Cox Support Forums Moderator