Forum Discussion

wtjmiller
New Contributor II
9 months ago

Access Denied error message on several sites

I get an access denied error message when trying to access several major sites, namely: publix.com, lowes.com, ihg.com, and hollandamerica.com. I consistently get this msg using 4 different devices all connected to Cox internet - 2 Windows 11 computers and 2 Pixel phones.  I've tried 4 different browsers and get the same message. However when I switch off the Cox wifi on my Pixel phone and use my cellular network, I can access these sites without an issue. 

The access denied message is; "You don't have permission to access "">http://www.publix.com/" on this server.", but I'm not using the http protocol, I'm using https

20 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Any way you could try posting a screenshot of what you're seeing?  There might be some clues there as to what process is generating the block.

wtjmiller
    New Contributor II

Thanks everyone for your feedback and ideas. I was able to resolve the issue by exchanging the Cox Panasonic gateway. 

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

That probably means your IP address was blocked by those websites. The question is why. If it happens again I would do a scan with Malwarebytes on every device on the network. Also, try contacting one of the sites and see why they blocked you.

wtjmiller
      New Contributor II

So changing the Panasonic Gateway only worked for a while and I was back to getting access denied messages on several sites. I also noticed my speed was not near what I was supposed to be getting so arranged to a technician to come. He replace the cable from my house to the street distribution box and suddenly everything started working just fine. That was about a week and a half ago and everything is still working. 

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

Sounds like your good to go! If you run into issues, let us know!

DRVEGAS
    Valued Contributor

I get similar messages on several legitimate websites using both Cox and T-Mobile on all my devices and have no idea why as well but Publix is working fine for me now 🤔

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Kind of a dumb question, but when you said "switch off the Cox Wifi" did you mean your Wi-Fi in general or were you specially connecting to "Cox Wifi" the hotspot?

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Using a desktop computer connected directly to the modem... 

When I change browser settings to not allow cookies, I don't see the "Sign up" button for Publix and I don't see anything for Lowes.  With cookies allowed, everything is displayed.  

I don't know that has any significance for you, but maybe it will give someone an "aha moment".