Forum Discussion

Beerman
New Contributor II
3 years ago

50% faster speeds free????

I got a pop up on my phone from Cox and I never get pop ups from them but it stated that I can get 50% faster speeds with a modem reset.  I clicked on the link but it was a dead end.  I'm not at home so I can't check now but is this real?  I can't find anything about this on the Cox site.

43 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

First, stop clicking links from never-received before pop-ups.

Is it real?  Probably no, however, when you get home, you can always log into your Cox account to reset your Internet modem.  Don't need a poop-up for this.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Also, just for your consideration, log into your Cox account, review your bill and ensure it reads, "150 Mbps" with Internet Preferred and not "200 Mbps."

I had originally subscribed for 150 Mbps but after restructuring their plans a few years later, Cox upgraded ("grandfathered") me to a 200 plan.  Although I was getting 50 Mbps more at the same price, I was suspicious.

After researching the Cox restructure, my original 150 plan had actually DECREASED $10.  Cox mischievously upgraded me so my bill wouldn't decrease.  For normal browsing, email and streaming, I would not have noticed another 50 Mbps and would rather save $10 a month ($120 a year)...so I had to repurchase my original 150 plan.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Oh, sorry, thanks Mouth, second, scan your phone for malware.  Just because the link was a dead-end, it doesn't mean it didn't maliciously do something.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I just logged into my Cox account and have the same pitches:  "Add Panoramic Wifi"..."Upgrade my data plan"..."Complete Care."  It's just solicitations.

Beerman
      New Contributor II

3 family members have confirmed speed increases. All 3 pay for 150 and routinely get 165-175 are getting 230-240 now.

AT&T fiber is popping up after 2 years of laying cable in our area and they feel the competition and just increased prices so they  have to do something to stay competitive.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

If you're paying for 150 Mbps but get 165+ Mbps...why pay more?  Do you need more bandwidth?  Just because Cox can provide more bandwidth, do you need more bandwidth?  Sure, it'd be nice to have but do you actually need it?  You're already doing better than most.

Zurq
    Contributor II

it's real, I was on the 150mbps plan and now i am getting 300mbps, look in your internet tab on the cox site, and it says 250mbps plan

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

If they can grandpa us with email, why not with data plans.  I want my 56K back!

pbsawin
      Contributor

Midwest City, OK. It worked! 163 to 292.37. 0827 3/16/22

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I don't understand the pop-up.  OP was not at home, on a cellphone and I'll assume connected to a Cox Hotspot.  Why would Cox script a pop-up in this scenario...while connected to a Hotspot?

In a world of phishing, hacking, scamming, spoofing, deception, malware, ransomware; a link on a pop-up offering something for free defies everything any security expert has been advising against for decades.  Why would Cox encourage this behavior?  If a subscriber clicked a link once and it was legit, why not click another link later?

And why was the pop-up a dead-end?  And what was the link supposed to do?  Log into my account, reset my modem and assume I got a speed increase at home...miles away?  What is wrong with an email, a letter or a banner within my account?

Whether the pop-up was legit or not...I don't understand why Cox would not only encourage it, but sloppily script a dead link.

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

I received an email today from "Cox" (residential@service.cox.com) with a "Buckle up for more speed."  subject.

Cox confirmed it's from them.  For improved security, Cox should publish a comprehensive list of domain names they use and then only use those domains.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Probably not from Cox per se but a marketing company using a Cox domain.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

I wasn't so much interested in whether it came from Cox HQ or an authorized marketing firm.  My concern was whether it was legitimate or a phishing email. 

BrianR
    New Contributor

I got that too, and my Cox app and website say my speed is increased from 150 to 250.  I did the modem reset and my speed got slightly slower.  I used Cox chat support and the agent took 30 minutes to tell me Cox had not increased the speeds and i should only get 150.  I called a Cox support tech and she told me that i should get 250 after the modem reset and blamed it on my router being 2 years old and if i'd just get a panoramic router from them... she couldn't tell me why my speed was exactly the same if i plugged my pc directly into the cable modem.  She then said it was likely a hardware issue at my house... if that was true it seems odd my speed wouldn't change at all.  If it's running at 150 there aren't many hardware issues that would prevent it from running at 250.  My modem is one the Cox approved list and is a 24x8 model.  My best guess is Cox hasn't really updated my modem firmware, but i can't check that as a consumer.  

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III
      if i'd just get a panoramic router from them

Always Be Selling.

Yeah...if you're over 100 Mbps, you don't have outdated ports (Fast Ethernet).

How'd you do the reset...within your Cox account or reboot?  The provisioning may just take a while, perhaps servers are busy or you're in a queue.  Who knows.  If you connected a Pano, you'd still get 150 as well as bad coverage.

BrianR
        New Contributor

It works now!  Had my speed drop to 700K, did another reset via the app and now i'm at 270!  I guess you were right about it taking a little time for provisioning or pushing out the updates.