Forum Discussion

becker49
New Contributor
2 years ago

5 GHZ v. 2.4 GHZ and getting kicked out

We have dual band 5 GHZ and 2.4 GHZ, however the 5 GHZ doesn't work half the time and 2.4 GHZ kicks us out frequently. What can be done to correct this, so we no longer get kicked out while working from home?

6 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

What model gateway/router do you have? I suggest using a tool like Wi-Fi Analyzer on a android phone and see what channels other people are using for Wi-Fi in your area. Try changing the channel on the router to one that isn't being used. For 2.4Ghz make sure to use non overlapping channels 1,6,or 11.

Darkatt
      Honored Contributor

Most people don't realize 5ghz has half the range of 2.4, and that ALSO a number of devices use 5ghz, certain wireless kb's and mice, some home phones, BABY monitors are the worst,  they are far more powerful than the router and will stomp all over it. 

Lovemylab
    Contributor III

It's a bit tedious the first time around, but I built a spreadsheet with columns for: Location, Serial Number, MAC, Broadcast MAC, Band and columns for several key rooms in the house. I used WiFi Analyzer to populate the data and simple color coding to indicate relative signal strength. Periodically, I shift something and do a quick sanity check. Not everything measures quite the way I might expect. Just as a general note, generally when there is an access issue in our house, it's not on a stationary device but a mobile device that hangs on to the previous node a bit too stubbornly. This provides a helpful visual on how much broader the coverage is on 2.4ghz vs 5ghz.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

What kind of hardware are you using? I used to use Unifi APs until I had problems with their Unifi Wifi 6 LR model. Had to bring it back. Anyway, they have a cool app that I thought you might like.

Lovemylab
        Contributor III

That's very cool. Last time I was looking I didn't find anything that was practical for home use. I'll start digging again. I'm using 5 generation 1 Google WiFi routers. 3 would work great if I wasn't trying to handle the garage and utility room. They work well and are pretty simple to use and monitor. They don't expose a lot of controls. For instance, you can't do your own channel selection. Signal hits my MB8600, goes to the first router which handles DHCP and so forth, then feeds a pair of D-Link Gigabit unmanaged switches which then go to the routers, the Verizon/Samsung Cell Extender, and various hardwired devices. It all works very well.