Forum Discussion

T_Cox_Customer
New Contributor
2 years ago

2023 - Change Cable Modem IP Address

I have seen several people asking how to change the IP address on their cable modem due to security concerns.  I have those same concerns but have NOT seen the question answered anyway.  (The discussion gets locked).

Is there a way to change the IP address on the Cox cable modem (unplugging and replugging does nto seem to do the trick).

Please provide a direct answer to this question. If it is not possible with Cox, I will look to change providers as should everyone else.  

Thank you.

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Do you mean change the IP of the modem(192.168.100.1) or the WAN IP of your router? It's not possible to change the 192.168.100.1 IP address of the modem but you can change your routers WAN MAC address and reboot the modem for a new WAN IP(public IP). What model router for more instructions?

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Or did you mean change the IP of your Panoramic gateway(modem/router combo)?

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

When you ask about changing the IP address, WHAT IP address are you talking about. There is an IP address ont he cable side of the modem, there is an internal address to the modem, and then there is the WAN ip address provided to either the internal router, or the device/router connected tot he ethernet connection of the modem. 

That being said, the 192.168.100.1 address tot he modem can only be access to devices connected to the LAN side of the modem. Devices on the WAN side cannot access the 192.168.100, or even the 192.168.1, or 0  address, because the are non routable and ONLY again, accessible on the LAN side of your internet. Devices on the WAN side, cannot access those addresses.  

With that being said the only IP address that can be changed is the wan IP address provided to a router connected to a stand alone modem, be either changing it's mac address, or connecting a different router. Changing that address however isn't going to really change things, as it's a wan IP address, and visible to the internet wherever you go. Accessing www.whatismyip.com  will give you your wan IP address, unless you are using a VPN. 

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

I found this support page which mentions how to change your gateways LAN settings, which may have an option how to change the router or gateway IP.

To access the advanced settings, tap on the Connect tab, then See Network. From the My Network screen, tap Advanced Settings. The following options display.

• Port Forwarding - Enable online gaming, VoIP, and peer-to-peer applications to connect directly to a device on your home network.
    • LAN & WAN - Customize your local area network (LAN) settings and view your wide area network (WAN) IP address.
    • DNS Server - View the domain name system (DNS) configuration for your home network.
    • DMZ - Configure a demilitarized zone for your home network
    blackeneth
    New Contributor III

Three things to try:

1. Leave cable modem unplugged for 6.5 hours

2. Leave cable modem unplugged for 24.5 hours

3. Call customer service and ask them to "de-provision" your modem.  Then have them "provision" your modem. 

Not sure how changing it enhances your security. Security will come from a good firewall. Then you can add a VPN to that. 

I find it annoying to have my external IP change -- it messes up some of the rules on my firewall. 

blackeneth
    New Contributor III

Three things to try:

1. Leave cable modem unplugged for 6.5 hours

2. Leave cable modem unplugged for 24.5 hours

3. Call customer service and ask them to "de-provision" your modem.  Then have them "provision" your modem. 

Not sure how changing it enhances your security. Security will come from a good firewall. Then you can add a VPN to that. 

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

Cox is on a 24 hr DHCP, so depending on when the modem updated the IP address, he's got 24 hrs from that point. Leaving it unplugged for 24½  hrs will only work if someone new comes online and their modem requests an IP address and HIS address is handed over. Works sometimes, most of the time, not. Deprovision/reprovision won't work, what MIGHT work, is for them to put his modem in what is called, "AUP". AUP is a form of suspension used for copyright complaints, and soft disconnects. It will put the modem in a 172 non routable IP address, and it sets the IP address back ont he DHCP server as available, and then when they put the modem back in the system, online and AUP removed, it will be handed the NEXT available IP address which should be different then the one they had. 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Doesn't the modem enter Self-Reg and get a 172.x.x.x IP when de-provisioned? I think that is the trick blackeneth was suggesting.