Forum Discussion

MangoMan
New Contributor II
30 days ago
Solved

Yahoo Email Transition - iPhone Setup

Has anyone seen anything from Cox indicating that they know there is an issue with setting up iPhone default Mail app to work with the new Yahoo mail server we have moved to?

Finally got all of my email accounts on Outlook set up and working. Not a straightforward process in the least and now instead of a Spam/Junk mail folder we get something called a "Bulk" mail folder. Looking forward to the day when AI can learn from my Deletions and automatically take care of Spam email for me. ;-) 

• Apple default Mail app is considered a Third Party App by Yahoo mail. You will need to generate a Third Party App Password for each of your Cox email accounts to be able to use the Apple default Mail app with your Yahoo-transitioned Cox email accounts.

Log into Yahoo mail using your PC or Mac. You will need your full cox email address (e.g., TastyMango@cox.net) and the new email password you created when you completed your Cox to Yahoo transistion. Yahoo may ask you to go through some steps to verify your Recovery Options - complete it now or later. Once in the Yahoo mail click the icon at the top right (your name or initials) and select "Overview". Now from the menu at the top select "Security". 

Look on the right for "Other ways to sign in" and you will see "App Password - If you don’t normally use a password to sign in to your Yahoo account, here’s where you can generate a password for 3rd-party apps that require passwords." Click on "Generate an app password" and provide a name for the app (e.g., Mac Mail or Iphone Mail). Yahoo will provide a new password for the Apple Mail app - make a copy of it (don't include the spaces). DON'T LOSE THIS OR YOU WILL HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN. 

On the iPhone go to Settings>Mail>Accounts and select the account you are working on.  Go to Account Settings now. Verify the settings are correct first

Name - Your name
    Email - [youraccountname]@cox.net (for example TastyMango@cox.net)
    Description - what ever you want displayed

Incoming Mail Server
    Host Name - imap.mail.yahoo.com
    User Name - [youraccountname]@cox.net (for example TastyMango@cox.net)
    Password - ** see note below

Outgoing Mail Server
    Host Name - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    Use SSL - On
    Authentication - Password
    Server Port - 465

**Type in some letters (fake password) into the Password field and press return on the screen keyboard. You should get an error message back. Now carefully type in the new password generated by Yahoo and press return on the screen keyboard. You should get checkmarks indicating success. You need to do this for both the Incoming and Outgoing Server settings.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    MangoMan
    New Contributor II

Apple default Mail app is considered a Third Party App by Yahoo mail. You will need to generate a Third Party App Password for each of your Cox email accounts to be able to use the Apple default Mail app with your Yahoo-transitioned Cox email accounts.

Log into Yahoo mail using your PC or Mac. You will need your full cox email address (e.g., TastyMango@cox.net) and the new email password you created when you completed your Cox to Yahoo transistion. Yahoo may ask you to go through some steps to verify your Recovery Options - complete it now or later. Once in the Yahoo mail click the icon at the top right (your name or initials) and select "Overview". Now from the menu at the top select "Security". 

Look on the right for "Other ways to sign in" and you will see "App Password - If you don’t normally use a password to sign in to your Yahoo account, here’s where you can generate a password for 3rd-party apps that require passwords." Click on "Generate an app password" and provide a name for the app (e.g., Mac Mail or Iphone Mail). Yahoo will provide a new password for the Apple Mail app - make a copy of it (don't include the spaces). DON'T LOSE THIS OR YOU WILL HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN. 

On the iPhone go to Settings>Mail>Accounts and select the account you are working on.  Go to Account Settings now. Verify the settings are correct first

Name - Your name
    Email - [youraccountname]@cox.net (for example TastyMango@cox.net)
    Description - what ever you want displayed

Incoming Mail Server
    Host Name - imap.mail.yahoo.com

Outgoing Mail Server
    Host Name - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    Use SSL - On
    Authentication - Password
    Server Port - 465

**Type in some letters (fake password) into the Password field and press return on the screen keyboard. You should get an error message back. Now carefully type in the new password generated by Yahoo and press return on the screen keyboard. You should get checkmarks indicating success. You need to do this for both the Incoming and Outgoing Server settings.

bigalo78
      New Contributor

Thanks for the info...still unable to receive or send emails from my cox.net account on my iphone. Seems to work ok on my laptop.  Any suggestions?

JulianN

Hello, we would be happy to assist with any questions or concerns you might have. Please email us your “full” name, “complete” address, and a copy of your post to Cox.Help@cox.com for further assistance. Thank you!

• Can you give us an idea of what is the issue with iPhone Mail app and the Cox transition?  I was under the impression that after the "transition" I would just have to change my POP3 or IMAP settings on my iPhone to the new Yahoo server names, etc.
    Call me "naïve"!

MangoMan
      New Contributor II

After changing the settings on my iPhone for the new imap.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com, entering the new password it doesn't work. You don't get emails and can't send emails using the default Apple Mail app.

Others having the same issue. I believe Cox knows about this issue but has not told customers anything yet.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255547273?sortBy=best

MangoMan
      New Contributor II

See also the comments from SMWillow further on at this thread

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255541941?answerId=260302076022&sortBy=oldest_first#260302076022