Forum Discussion

John2222
Contributor II
13 days ago
Solved

The connection to smtp.cox.net failed !??!

My "transition" from Cox to Yahoo was working yesterday.  But today when I try to send email from Windows 10 Outlook as well as myemail.cox.net webmail, I get this:

Cannot Send Mail.  The connection to the outgoing server "smtp.cox.net" failed ... Additional Outgoing Mail Servers can be configured for Mail accounts in Settings/Mail/Account"

Are the Cox outgoing smtp servers down?  I am getting emails ok, but this error when trying to send.

WHY?  Same problem using same settings from iPhone as well as Windows 10.

• I may have made a mistake and changed the Outlook SMTP port to be identical to 465, in both Outlook as well as iPhone smtp.cox.net server port instead of the preferred port 587.  Not sure which is required but 587 for iPhone, but 465 for Outlook works now.

2 Replies

John2222
    Contributor II

I may have made a mistake and changed the Outlook SMTP port to be identical to 465, in both Outlook as well as iPhone smtp.cox.net server port instead of the preferred port 587.  Not sure which is required but 587 for iPhone, but 465 for Outlook works now.

rbeforee
    New Contributor II

As I understand it we are using the yahoo mail servers after we transition. imap.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com