Forum Discussion

18 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Eric2
    New Contributor

I'm an AZ Cox customer, and have been hearing about this email transition for many months, received an email yesterday, but when I go in, it routes me through a URL crashline.ru.  It ends up asking for social security number, DOB, and credit card number.  Extremely well done scam

tdafforn
      New Contributor II

Yes. What a great Scam. I am having a hard time detecting a scammer's email. Usually they have all sorts of weird characters and obvious signs of not being official. I just received another email and it looks fairly legit except for the sender's address. The provided link still takes me to a "transition.ru" address and that's where I detect some boolsheat.

tdafforn
    New Contributor II

Any that has revived the transition link, is this the correct website?

Eric2
    New Contributor

Regarding this scam, when I mouse over the senders address it shows "replyemail@cox.net" which seems legit.

Elgato748
    New Contributor

I use Thunderbird and there we many posts on their forum from people struggling with the transition. It turns out Cox had posted the wrong Yahoo server information in their instructions. My wife still cannot get email to work with Outlook. What a disaster. It seems that Cox was oblivious to the fact that many people use various email clients and thought everyone was just going to use Yahoo webmail. All that time to prepare and they failed miserably. But then Cox email support has been nonexistent for years. Maybe Yahoo will actually block some phishing and spam that Cox was unable to do.

tdafforn
    New Contributor II

I received another "Cox" email telling me my account was ready to transition to Yahoo. This time the link takes me to letsgoabdo.ru. Another Russian domain. Something is getting really f'd up by cox on this roll out. 

csorenson5@cox.net

SharielH

tdafforn, since the mention of us transitioning our emails over to Yahoo has come out, there have been reports of Scam emails. Please report this to  abuse@cox.com since it is showing as a Cox.Net email. Also, email us at Cox.Help@Cox.Com and we can tell you if the transition has taken place for you. If it has, you can go directly to Yahoo's login page to start the process. We look forward to getting your email. 

Per our site, https://www.cox.com/residential/support/about-fake-cox-emails.html#:~:text=Handling%20Fraudulent%20Email&text=You%20can%20report%20phishing%20emails,to%20abuse%40cox.com.

Handling Fraudulent Email

Do not follow or click on any embedded links. Delete the email from your Inbox and empty your deleted items folder so that neither you nor anyone else who accesses this email account acts on this email.

You can report phishing emails targeted at Cox customers by sending the email as an attachment to phishingreport@cox.net. If the phishing email originated from a Cox customer, meaning a Cox IP, it should also be sent to abuse@cox.com.

Note: All suspect phishing email must be forwarded as an attachment. Do not just forward the message.

netbid
        New Contributor

On Handling Fraudulent Email (not email received from Cox) the instructions to forward phishing email as an attachment don't make sense when considering that Yahoo webmail now must be used. The instructions say to send the email as attachment and NOT to forward the email. Yahoo webmail does not have the ability to "attach" an email so how can the phishing email be sent to phishingreport@cox.net?

patouchet
    New Contributor II

Seems to be  a very widespread problem, I never got to the domain link as my Bitdefender software picked up on it at "crashline.ru" after 2nd try at it. Repeated several times to make sure it wasn't legit. Looked good, too good I suppose. This whole email transition has been a dismal fiasco!

timjd
    New Contributor

It's corporate misfeasance on behalf of Cox to allow scammers to use Cox email accounts and servers to expose customers to fraud.  It's remarkable they get away with it.   

This is like a locksmith giving your house keys to a bunch of strangers then blaming you for getting ripped off for not locking your door.