Forum Discussion

charlescali
New Contributor
4 months ago
Solved

Transitioning from Cox-rented panoramic WiFi modem/router/whatever to off-the-shelf

I understand the process up to the point of turning in my current modem to Cox. Okay, I drop it off at any specified location, got it... Is that it? The $15/month rental fee disappears within a billing cycle or two?

Will there be any sort of "restocking fee" or something? Termination of rental fee? Or just... Turn it in, the charge disappears?

Thanks in advance.

• Yup, pretty much. Just don't forget to keep the receipt of the return incase something goes wrong with the return. See here for more info. Did you need help picking out your own modem and router?

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Yup, pretty much. Just don't forget to keep the receipt of the return incase something goes wrong with the return. See here for more info. Did you need help picking out your own modem and router?

charlescali
      New Contributor

No, thanks, I already have a specific one in mind (checked the compatibility list and all, it is both Cox compatible and specifically compatible with/supports the bandwidth of my current plan).

And yes, my plan was already to buy the new one, make sure it ACTUALLY worked and connected and everything, and only then turn in the old one back to Cox.

I basically was just trying to figure out if there was ANY downside (besides the upfront cost of course) to switching, if there'd be some "no you have to pay $150 since you stopped using our unit" type thing, etc.)

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        charlescali wrote:

I basically was just trying to figure out if there was ANY downside

The only thing I can think of is you won't be able to use things like wireless TV boxes or Homelife without the Panoramic gateway. That, and Cox likes to blame retail equipment if a problem occurs.