Forum Discussion

Rdrolet
New Contributor III
4 months ago
Solved

Cox email to yahoo email transition - MS Outlook phase - final step

Digging into the details here; this can and should be straightforward but this is very important app. My concern is I (and family) have several cox.net accounts and we use pc  MS outlook to manage all emails (folders, rules, history) and using pop protocol (download one way by preference). So, as suggested step one follow instructions for yahoo “web mail” using existing cox.net address and password.

Next setup MS Outlook app is next. Question 1 when I open outlook (with cox.net existing credentials) will the app recognize (automatically) yahoo pop, smtp and other related detail settings? And question 2 (and this is critical) will new emails received be “added - down loaded) to my ”existing” outlook folders and rules etc? Thus preserving my existing status. Thats the goal here; a seamless complete customer transition. 

Some of the supporting links talk about “how to create a new outlook email account”. Slippery slope here, a new account, what email address, will I be overwriting existing. Well then I instead of new why not modify existing cox email setting to point to yahoo settings? Or is this paragraph traveling in a rabbit hole.

I hope it’s automatic as described in the first paragraph; but I don’t know what the Cox folks have planned. I am in favor of making the change; but very concerned about losing my existing emails history etc. (and yes I frequently export saved pst files; I know it is easy but haven’t done in many years and prefer not to try).

I know this has been long message here but I wanted to ask for clarification and confirmation of the “entire” transition process. 

Thanks

Richard

• Thanks for the reply. First I have not started the transition. The email I received last week was simply letting me know this will be happening. S I haven't done anything with Outlook as yet.

I just want to do this right and not lose anything. I have been reading the cox email and links several times to walk thru the "entire" process. That includes every step to maintain current functionality service. The links incl info from Cox, Yahoo and MS Outlook. The Yahoo and MS links were written for individuals who are setting up "new" Yahoo and Outlook accounts. This is not what this project "transition" is. I applaud Cox for maintaining existing cox credential email and password. But those instructions are for new.

And as you said. We do not want new and we do not want to delete (and delete major information etc.). So auto setup does not work (unless Cox has written some very comprehensive code to recognize existing cox email (and password) and adds yahoo internet account pop+ related settings, and adds new incoming email to existing Outlook folders etc.

I don't think they did write this code. I agree with you as of right now that manual entry is the most likely scenario.

I would like to hear from the Cox implementation team directly. I tried chat yesterday and that did not work.

Do you know what Cox's internet (or transition team) team email is?

Thanks

Richard

13 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor
    Rdrolet wrote:

will the app recognize (automatically) yahoo pop, smtp and other related detail settings

Unknown. Your the first I have seen to set up Outlook after the transition. My guess is no, that you have to do manual entry of the POP/SMTP servers and ports. Maybe after the transition is done and the Cox servers are totally shut down a automatic setup will work, but probably not now.

As for your second question, my guess is yes. Since you are just changing the POP/SMTP servers your Outlook rules should stay the same. Unknown if webmail rules will transfer though.

The key is to NOT delete your Outlook account and make a new one. Instead, you just want to modify the account settings.

Rdrolet
    New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply. First I have not started the transition. The email I received last week was simply letting me know this will be happening. S I haven't done anything with Outlook as yet.

I just want to do this right and not lose anything. I have been reading the cox email and links several times to walk thru the "entire" process. That includes every step to maintain current functionality service. The links incl info from Cox, Yahoo and MS Outlook. The Yahoo and MS links were written for individuals who are setting up "new" Yahoo and Outlook accounts. This is not what this project "transition" is. I applaud Cox for maintaining existing cox credential email and password. But those instructions are for new.

And as you said. We do not want new and we do not want to delete (and delete major information etc.). So auto setup does not work (unless Cox has written some very comprehensive code to recognize existing cox email (and password) and adds yahoo internet account pop+ related settings, and adds new incoming email to existing Outlook folders etc.

I don't think they did write this code. I agree with you as of right now that manual entry is the most likely scenario.

I would like to hear from the Cox implementation team directly. I tried chat yesterday and that did not work.

Thanks

Richard

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor
      Rdrolet wrote:

No, I do not. If I had to guess, they don't work directly with customers. You could try cox.help@cox.com but that is to the moderators here(Social Media Team) to see if they can escalate your questions, but I don't think you will be able to talk with them. That is assuming Cox even plays a role in the code. They outsourced their email to a unknown provider years ago. It was around the time they stopped allowing customers to create new usernames. If you do find something out, please share it with the forum.

One question I have is someone mentioned on Reddit that there might be a charge for Yahoo mail if you cancel Cox service after the transition. I couldn't find any mention of a charge in Cox documentation, but they said it is common when other ISP outsource email to Yahoo.

Rdrolet
        New Contributor III

Thanks, I will give that email a try. Moderators should be ok, I presume they would connect with their technical team for the appropriate details.

Outsourced email provider, hmm I was not aware.

I will keep you posted; it may be a few days before I get some feedback.

I am surprised there isn't more chatter about this. My guess is the process has not started as yet. Once it does begin; I expect we will get more feedback.

Richard 

ChrisJ2

Hi, arkawazi. The cox.net domain will still exist, so there will be no conflict (ie, email@cox.net, not email@yahoo.com). I hope this helps explain. 

dlarkin-dc
      New Contributor III

Nothing definite. First I heard of customers getting nofication emails was the the RI area, recently followed by VA, so I presume it's a phased transition, but over how long I couldn't guess. Nofiying all customers in blocks... so,  months, half a year..?

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

I have a feeling Phoenix/AZ will be last as one of Cox larger margets. RI was first because it's probably one of their smallest. Anyone here actually switched over yet?

dlarkin-dc
      New Contributor III

And email notifications will proceed changeover by ~60 days...

https://forums.cox.com/discussions/internet/cox-email-moving-to-yahoo-/149561/replies/149584