Forum Discussion

Rdrolet
New Contributor III
4 months ago

Cox email to yahoo email transition

I received email announcement on Jan 4, and read most of documentation. I want to confirm a few points to ensure I get this right the first time. Did Cox indicated how much time we have to accept Yahoo doc? And how long will our emails will be available on cox in the event of  an issue - hope for the best, plan for the worst? As I understand they are essentially moving our emails from Cox servers to Yahoo servers. Can I presume we will need to change our pop, smpt, port and other related settings etc. Can we keep our existing@cox.net and existing cox password in place? Thanks 

18 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    sdollen1
    New Contributor

Personally, I loathe Cox and this just adds to it.  I wish OEC fiber would get to my area. Or even AT&T fiber.  Tired of Cox and the service or lack of.  

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

How does it add to it? I think yahoo is better then the no name company Cox had outsourced their email to. Cox could have just canceled Cox email service all together. If you want help with your service, start a new post.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

Why don't you get verizon fiber and THEIR email.. Oh, "Verizon has retired our email service. We have completed our notifications regarding this change, and customers no longer have the option to keep their Verizon Email".. That's why! ROTFLMAO. Keep complaining, at least I still have my cox email address that I have had since the 90's. 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        Darkatt wrote:

and customers no longer have the option to keep their Verizon Email

That's as of now, 7 years after the migration to AOL. Verizon did something very similar to Cox except they did it way before Cox. See here for more info. I switched to FIOS about 5 years ago but already had Gmail for email service so it wasn't a issue for me. I think this change is great because now people no longer feel held hostage by way of their email. They can cancel service and keep their email. The down side is the security issues Yahoo has.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor
    Rdrolet wrote:

Did Cox indicated how much time we have to accept Yahoo doc?

"The offer to accept Yahoo’s Terms of Service will be available for 365 days from the date of your transition notification email or redirect." As per here.

Rdrolet wrote:

Can I presume we will need to change our pop, smpt, port and other related settings etc.

Yes. See here for instructions to change POP/IMAP/SMTP/etc.

Rdrolet wrote:

Can we keep our existing@cox.net and existing cox password in place?

Yes. Email address and password will stay the same.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

BTW, can I ask what state you are in? I am tracking which areas are being transitioned and when.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Not sure about the link for ther smtp and pop settings, as the domain is still COX.NET

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

The email address is still Cox.net but the POP/SMTP/IMAP are yahoo.com now. Doesn't the documentation confirm that? Isn't the whole point of this that the email is being transferred to Yahoo's servers, so shouldn't we be using their addresses? Would it help if I got moderator confirmation?

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Have you actually set up a client with these settings with Cox email to confirm or are you just going by documentation?