Forum Discussion

John2222
Contributor II
3 months ago
Solved

POP3 or IMAP for Yahoo email transition

What is the basis for the movement (transition) of emails from Cox to Yahoo?  All our current email accounts are POP3 and emails are stored in a .PST database.

Will the Cox software just copy emails found in the Cox online webmail?  The inbox only?  And I have to somehow manually import to the new Yahoo email account anything not in the Cox webmail website?  

I couldn't find any suggestions or information in your links and I want to be sure if there are any preparations or considerations for POP3 based email settings. 

• Any/all emails stored on our server at the time of the transition will be automatically transferred over to Yahoo at that time. If you use POP3 and do not use the "leave a copy of messages on the server" setting on your mail client, then those emails would just be stored on the device that it was downloaded to originally.  Once the transition is completed to Yahoo you can update your POP3 settings listed here https://help.yahoo.com/kb/pop-access-settings-instructions-yahoo-mail-sln4724.html or if you use IMAP here https://help.yahoo.com/kb/devices-sln3697.html

Do not make any server settings changes in your email program prior to the transition as it will not work with the yahoo settings until then. You will receive a final email to let you know that the transition has been completed and then you will just need to follow the instructions in the email to finish the Yahoo transition.

16 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Rdrolet
    New Contributor III

So very good questions; I have similar concerns. I am not an expert nor have I been through the process. I have received the 3rd email from Cox; indicating the move is weeks away. My general suggestions is keep pressing Cox moderators for answers to the detail questions. And hope soon someone who has actually been through the process will update us. 
    My thoughts are; 1) sounds like you are using pop access via 3rd party client like MS Outlook - that’s what I am using- so I am automatically downloading all emails onto my computer. So you have your emails and there is no risk of loss - no imap synchronization. But you do leave some inbox emails on their servers for a period of time - setting. 2) my concern which I cannot get any information is what happens when we get email #4 that the ”moved” has occurred. If that is thru then previous Cox web access and 3rd party access to pop and smtp will not work- that is my big question and Cox does not provide any details; and that is a problem. 2) my intention was to wait a few days to see how this works from other folks; but again if we don’t sign on to yahoo; where are our incoming emails if our account has “moved”.

I wish I could provide more specifics but I am not getting any answers from Cox. I will update all when I get more information.

John2222
      Contributor II

I have Outlook on a desktop Windows PC (outlook.pst) and IOS Mail app on iPhone, all using pop3.  This is probably a very common home computer configuration.

• Any/all emails stored on our server at the time of the transition will be automatically transferred over to Yahoo at that time. If you use POP3 and do not use the "leave a copy of messages on the server" setting on your mail client, then those emails would just be stored on the device that it was downloaded to originally.  Once the transition is completed to Yahoo you can update your POP3 settings listed here https://help.yahoo.com/kb/pop-access-settings-instructions-yahoo-mail-sln4724.html or if you use IMAP here https://help.yahoo.com/kb/devices-sln3697.html

Do not make any server settings changes in your email program prior to the transition as it will not work with the yahoo settings until then. You will receive a final email to let you know that the transition has been completed and then you will just need to follow the instructions in the email to finish the Yahoo transition.

Rdrolet
      New Contributor III

Brian,

Thanks for the information. Just to be clear.

1. Yes to pop3 on email client (MS outlook - PC windows); I do leave copy on server for a few days. I presume that is ok?
      2. I did look at link and I presume incoming mail server, smtp, port #, SSl and authentication will need to change. Correct?
      3. Timming is unclear. I presume I will receive Cox notice 4th about the change/move in a week or so. Due to my uncertainty I plan to wait 2-3 days after cox email #4 to let the dust settle. Thats said.
      4. I presume that during these 2-3 days (wait) I will be able to access cox email as usual via both cox webmail and outlook email client. No changes made.
      5. When the 3 days have passed, I will proceed to follow instructions to transition/activate to Yahoo web mail, first and ensure all is well. Keep it simple (KISS).
      6. Then my plan is to "change" my "existing" email client settings as discussed in 1 and 2 above. Correct?
      7. I am trying to verify that during this 2-3 days wait period I will be able to continue to have access via Cox Web mail and MS Outlook email client (with existing settings). Correct?
      8. The words "move" and "access" suggests (I hope not) that once we receive this Cox #4 notification (some morning) the former cox web mail access and our MS outlook email client access will be turned off. That's a concern. Please clarify?
      9. In related words; will both servers (pop cox and pop yahoo) (and related elements) be operational in parallel (real time) with new emails that are coming in all day long.
        John2222
        Contributor II

Thanks to Rdrolet for questions and BrianM for some clarifications.  I have a suggestion that I think will help Cox customers as well as Yahoo support:

1. Create a document/website page with various possible scenarios that affect your customers.  Start with the simplest first.  That would be someone that uses Cox webmail exclusively to send and receive all emails.  That shouldn't require hardly any if at all changes.  But list preparation and steps suggested afterwards.
        2. Create another website page for Cox customer that has webmail access, but primarily uses their iPhone (or iPad) to send and receive all emails using the MAIL app.  Include specific steps and please include some screen clips to show changes needed.
        3. Create another website for Windows Outlook users that may also include an iPad mixed environment and server settings.

Please include or show link to specific Yahoo server settings to access emails, both IMAP and POP3.  Also input and output server configurations.

I think some detailed documents that leads the customer (us) through the appropriate steps will save time (and frustration) for all.

DavidC1010
      New Contributor

This doesn't work if you use Outlook. There's a new thread that discusses this. 

Rdrolet
        New Contributor III

David

Thanks for the heads up. I am reviewing the threads now.

Brian

As moderator please reviewing these threads with you colleagues and management. These are real issues and there are many of Cox customers experiencing these issues and many with Outlook as a 3rd party client. We are long time customers and we need answers and clarity, the existing documentation is insufficient, missing details and possibly incorrect. Please update asap. If the servers are not ready to handle pop3 or need to wait 24 hours for some script or process to run than say it. We can follow instructions.

Otherwise you see whats happening here; many calls, many hours waiting, many calls to Cox and Yahoo and frustration. customers need access to emails for work and other.

And last, this reflects on the reputation of both Cox and Yahoo. Both companies are going to lose customers and other services.

Rewrite the documentation and publish it asap.

Richard