Forum Discussion

kseene
New Contributor II
11 days ago

Problems with Email on Yahoo

I managed to complete the conversion to Yahoo (simple login and setting new password).  Eventually I got it on my iPhone (had to add as a new account rather than change settings from cox.net servers).  Then I got it to work for Thunderbird (missing clue in instructions was to use OAuth2).  And I have used both the Yahoo email app for iPhone, and the web interface on my desktop.  A few test emails from one account (I have 3) to the others, and it's looking pretty good.

Then, I sent from gmail.  Sometimes it never arrives, sometimes it goes to the Inbox, and sometimes it goes to Junk (iPhone mail) or Spam (Yahoo app) but nowhere on Thunderbird.  A friend sent 2 emails from gmail, 1 to just 1 of my "new" cox.net accounts and it went to junk/spam.  He sent the 2nd to all 3 "new" cox.net accounts it was fine.

I had an important email sent to me (with a time limit, from the government!) this afternoon and it never showed up.

Ideas?  I looked for any filters, but gmail?  ftb.ca.gov?  Yahoo seems to want $5/month if you want to talk to them.  Not happy at this point and may start the painful transition to gmail or other service.  Or am I missing something?

8 Replies

cgrantg
    New Contributor

On day 2 of the transition, I decided NO MORE ADS, so I do have Yahoo Plus for $5 month. However, I have ta similar problem to yours today with a verification code email from a US govt site. Logging into your Social Security Admin. account requires 2-step verification, and before the Cox-Yahoo transition I chose to receive the verification code at my cox.net email address. Today I tried multiple times to receive the SSA verification code to log in to my SSA account. But no luck -- no email came through on Yahoo Plus. I believe that for security reasons, certain personal emails from US govt sites will require you to set up a new way to receive the verification code. With the SSA, the only way you can make a change is by SNAIL MAIL! I just requested to received a one-time verification code by snail mail. It will take 5-10 business days, the SSA said. Then I can log in and change receipt of the code to my cell phone. This is a pain, and will be even more painful if I DON'T receive the snail mail code. 

suek
    New Contributor

I just completed what I thought was successful transition from cox webmail to Yahoo.  I was wrong.  I am unable to send any emails whatsoever.  Using my iPhone 15 I have all of my former emails through coz and Gmail and the new Yahoo accounts listed.  I am receiving email but CAN’T respond or create new ones.  Has anybody else had problems after setting up Yahoo?  All help is appreciated!

kseene
      New Contributor II

I would log into the yahoo website (yahoo.com and click mail button in upper right).  To get as far as you did, I assume you did the initial login with <you>@cox.net username and old password, the set a new yahoo password.  Make sure you can receive and send email in the yahoo mail website.  Maybe leave this up while going to next steps...

Then, on your iPhone, you need to go to mail in settings and add a new account, selecting yahoo, and entering your <you>@cox.net as the user name.  Somewhere (I forget just where) yahoo should ask for authentication and permission for your iPhone access.  I don't think you can update your old iPhone mail for cox to yahoo; I think you have to create a new mail account on the iPhone.  Don't delete your cox email from your iPhone until you have everything (like Notes which would be deleted, like I did😁 on my wife's phone).  It should work.

You can also download the yahoo app to your phone.  I did this, which might help with authentication sometimes.  But I might delete it when the dust settles.

From this thread, just be aware that it seems that yahoo might be "protecting" us from .gov sites, even if you use them for 2-factor authentication (like social security).

darkhorse
    New Contributor II

I can't get email to work on Android. In settings, it won't let me change my user name which I believe now has to be username@cox.net. Impossible to change. I tried adding a new account and selected Yahoo, but it said this email address already exists. I don't want to remove the old email account and lose all the emails for that account on my phone. What to do? I have other non-Cox email accounts on my phone and don't want to go to Yahoo app to read those emails.

jyoung858
      New Contributor

I had the same issue. Deleting the old account and using the new worked for me and I retained my old emails (after changing the sync it indefinite)

rshein
    New Contributor

Hello kseene  can you provide the steps you took to set up an iPhone? I created the Yahoo acct/email and set up the MacMail account on my Mac but I can't seem to get the iPhone mail to connect. I am using the special Yahoo generated password but still no luck! Thanks for the assistance!

kseene
      New Contributor II

I see in other threads references to a yahoo generated password, but I didn't go that route.  I'm pretty sure I simply logged into yahoo, initially with the cox password, then went through the process of creating a new password.  I may have some short-term memory loss here, but I'm pretty sure for the iPhone I just created a new mail account (Settings -> Mail -> Accounts -> Add Account -> yahoo!) and then entered my username <me>@cox.net and my new yahoo password.  I can't remember if yahoo popped up a verification request, or where this might have happened since I might have had my desktop logged in, or the yahoo app on my iPhone, and I would have just approved it . . . or maybe that was just for setting up Thunderbird on my desktop!!  Sorry, I should have taken notes!!

rshein
        New Contributor

Hi all thanks for the advice! I assumed I would add account "Other" on my iPhone just like I did on the Mac but that didn't work. I then created the new account using the "yahoo!" account directly in Mail and that worked. It didn't required the Yahoo generated special password as suggested by Yahoo Tech Support. There tech support is disappointing and was no help! Hope this helps.