Forum Discussion

Cards47
New Contributor III
5 years ago

URGENT: Still having email issues? Post your email status here! Refer Cox Support to this thread.

Since the 4/24/19 email security rollout, users have been experiencing various kinds of email issues. This is now day 13. I can receive email, but when I send email, it shows in my sent box, but is not received by the intended recipient. It is stuck on the Cox email server. My IP address is not blocked, I verified that. This is happening on my new iPad iOS 12.2 and on Cox’s WebMail page, no matter what browser I try. To date: nothing has been resolved. Every fix, workaround, password change, delete and re-entering email address, blah-blah-blah, etc. has failed. Been working on this for 12 days straight.

Please, I would like to hear from all of you what your current status is concerning your email and, if any, what fixes have worked for you.

Please keep the responses coming, we’re really starting to get some strong answers to the email issues supplied by us, not Cox. Awesome!!!

Link to my original post:

https://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/internet-forum/23081/not-receiving-cox-email-at-at-t-net-and-gmail-com-email-servers

=========================

Contributed by WiderMouthOpen:

You can also see it in a tracert. Notice at hop 6 it leaves Cox and is on a provider called RackSpace. Don't know if they are the email provider or network provider for the email provider, but the thread you quoted shows it's now a partnership.

Tracing route to imap.east.rs.oxcs.net [146.20.147.246]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.asus.com [192.168.1.1]
2 6 ms 6 ms 8 ms 10.1.128.1
3 8 ms 7 ms 9 ms 100.120.244.80
4 8 ms 9 ms 9 ms 100.120.244.192
5 18 ms 17 ms 18 ms ashbbprj02-ae1.0.rd.as.cox.net [68.1.0.254]
6 18 ms 18 ms 19 ms aggr501a-94-core9.iad3.rackspace.net [69.20.1.10]
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 19 ms 35 ms 17 ms coreb-dcpe2.iad3.rackspace.net [69.20.2.173]
9 19 ms 17 ms 20 ms core9-coreb.iad3.rackspace.net [65.61.152.173]
10 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms aggr501a-65-core9.iad3.rackspace.net [146.20.80.21]
11 19 ms 18 ms 17 ms 146.20.147.246

FYI that was a tracert from my computer to imap.cox.net. The confusing part is because of the "partnership" they made changes in DNS too.

C:\Users\>nslookup imap.cox.net
Server: router.asus.com
Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: imap.east.rs.oxcs.net <==
Address: 146.20.147.246
Aliases: imap.cox.net

Notice how imap.cox.net automatically redirects to the new domains on oxcs.net, which is not a Cox server.

====================

Thank you all in advance.

92 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    MissyKay
    New Contributor III

Given the length of this discussion - I'm not certain where best to post my on-going email issues - but would welcome any feedback which might help me address the unresolved concerns I originally posted a month ago:  https://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/internet-forum/22880/trouble-getting-emails-sent-via-apple-mail-and-via-my-email-cox-net  which relate directly to this discussion.

After changing the port from 465 to 587 (with TLS enabled) - and only accessing my email account via myemail.cox.net, I thought my email troubles were resolved as I would no longer get the pop-up message:  

! An error occurred inside the server which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

But I’ve since learned that a large majority of my emails (not all) do not reach their destination.  They show up in my “sent” folder - but the intended recipients have repeatedly confirmed they are not received.   Since my troubles began, I’ve made it a practice to bcc my husband’s work and Earthlink.net email accounts - as a check to see if my emails are getting out.  He receives the blind copies of my outgoing emails just fine - but the intended recipient doesn’t receive my email.  What makes this so hard to trouble-shoot is the fact that other emails to other parties go through without issue.  The only standout detail that I’ve been able to identify with two of the recipients who are not getting my emails is that both have Comcast accounts (one is in TX - one in PA).  Don’t know why this should be a factor - but throwing this detail out there just in case anyone can shed some light on how I can fix this.   Thanks in advance for any guidance that can be provided.

Cards47
      New Contributor III

MissyKay, you have a point about this thread being so large since I started it, but it has turned out to be a log of all the problems and troubleshooting the customers have produced to assist Cox concerning their inept attempt at their, so called, Email Security Update. Clearly this is on Cox to fix this and has absolutely nothing to do with user error.

With that being said, I have created an outside email account (@outlook.com) at MSN.com. Once all my email contacts have gotten the update and all email is transferred, Cox will be gone from life. My new ISP will be AT&T using their email account. The outlook.com email account from MSN will be my backup once my AT&T account in online. Stick a fork in me, I’m done with Cox forever!

BTW, what you discovered about the BCC was brilliant. I hadn’t even thought about that combo. Your point about the “To:” recipient NOT receiving email and the “BCC:” recipient actually receiving email shows me that Cox has even more issues than they thought.

I find it very disheartening how Cox support has basically ignored all this user troubleshooting. I believe Cox is in denial and, for some reason, they believe denial is a river in Egypt. I can no longer be upset with Cox as this has all become just laughable.

MissyKay
        New Contributor III

Cards47, I definitely support the thread (and value) of this present discussion - my comment re the length simply reflected my being unsure I was inserting my contribution/question in the appropriate spot.   Will also add I just got off the phone with Cox IT Support again - was told I should go to the web site:  spamhouse.org and enter my IP address and request it be "delisted" - as that was potentially the reason why my emails were not being received by my contacts whose email addresses were through Comcast.net.  Not an IT person, myself, but this seems like a step one shouldn't have to take simply to ensure a typical day-to-day email exchange with friends.  Would welcome anyone's feedback on the spamhouse.org suggestion by Cox.  Thanks in advance.

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi MissyKay, if you are having issues sending emails using our host web server (myemail.cox.net), then this may require additional troubleshooting on our part. Do you receive an email error message with a number attached, like 550 or 554? Here is a list of some of the common error messages, http://bit.ly/2VpQISR. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
        MissyKay
        New Contributor III

Hi Kevin - I do not receive any notice or message - never have.  That's the biggest issue.  There's been no way to know that emails are not going through as they appear (as they always have) in my "Sent" folder.  I only know that in the past few months two of my frequent contacts (Comcast users) now no longer receive my emails (based on their lack of response and my calling/texting them to repeatedly ask, "Did you get my email???"  To which the answer is always, "No."  Other contacts do receive my emails with no troubles.  Then there are those emails recently sent - to which there are no replies (and no other way to contact the recipient) - - so I can only assume they were 1) received but ignored OR 2) never received like the Comcast accounts holders.    Also - please see my other post related to this:  forums.cox.com/.../sent-emails-successfully-reaching-bcc-parties-but-not-the-intended-to-recipient

okstategrad
    New Contributor

As of mid-April, I can sent/receive email using Webmail.cox.net. My husband can send and receive from his Android phone, but I can not. Neither of us can send/receive using Outlook 2016 and Windows 10. I called over 2 weeks ago and it was escalated to Tier 2 Support and someone from Eng was suppose to be looking at it. I have not heard anything since. 

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hello, we're sorry to learn about these issues, and we want to help resolve this for you as quickly as possible. Have you changed your password on the cox website, http://bit.ly/2KOrZnd, and ensured the password matches both the incoming and outgoing settings? If not, can you please change the password? Have you removed the Cox email from your client device entirely, and re-entered the credentials? I highly recommend doing so and starting from scratch. Please check to see if the server settings are correct, http://bit.ly/2KGsVKh, and that you are using TLS, if available. Lastly, please verify that the server name fields do NOT include east, west, or central. Here are the instructions for changing email server settings for both Android and Outlook 2016:

http://bit.ly/2VGwwfH
      http://bit.ly/2KzRtEo

I hope this helps. -Kevin
    KYOU
    New Contributor

I also am not able to send emails from Outlook.  Cox simply had me change my password and when that didn't help they told me to contact the manufacturer.  Anyone find a solution?

LisaH
      Hi KYOU. What is the error message you are getting when trying to send email from Outlook? For further troubleshooting, please send an email to cox.help@cox.com and include this link along with your complete address and name on the account. Thanks, Lisa - Cox Support Forums Moderator
    ChargersFan
    New Contributor

I've been searching for solution as many of you but apparently there is no solution. COX support was useless.

I can receive my emails through my iPhone X and no issues with incoming or outgoing emails with my imac/macbooks at home or via webmail.

I just can't send emails through my iPhone,even after verifying the settings, deleting and re-adding the email accounts, or changing the passwords. 

I also have no problem receiving and sending emails for my work emails on my iPhone so it's definitely something to do with the Cox email server.

I hope there will be resolution soon.

Additional Note:

After I posted the above, I reread some of your posts and I just concluded I have the same issue with Steve A. I can send emails through my iPhone once I disconnect from my work WiFi. Not sure why this is the case now since I also didn't have any issues prior to April 2019.

Steve_A
      New Contributor III

I'm not 100% certain but I think my issue when I'm at work on wifi is that my company doesn't provide a Reverse DNS lookup for when the Cox SMTP servers are trying to accept my SMTP connection and authenticate who I am.     Just like you.... when I'm at home on WIFI or just on AT&T cell service everything works OK.    I've already asked our firewall people here at work to see if packets are flowing from our network out and back to/from SMTP.COX.NET port 465 and the packets are going back and forth and not being blocked.      BUT....apparently if Cox can't get a good result from the reverse dns lookup then they reject your connection.       If you look in other threads you'll see this mentioned by Cox support.    Look in this discussion:

https://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/internet-forum/23071/blocked-ip/88476#88476

I've asked my company if they can allow the reserve dns lookup and I was told No that because of security reasons they won't.      So....if I need to send an email from my iPhone when I'm at work I then have to turn off WIFI to go back to AT&T wireless and then send the email.

Susired123
    New Contributor

Yes it seems to happen err n monthly now, was broke for a few days the end of May but then miraculously fixed itself. When I called COX they tried to tell me my imsp settings but they were correct and then denied it was a Cox issue but it was a Oulook problem. Really? Not!

• I have problems sending e-mail if I'm connected to my VPN, but I've had that problem for well over a year now. Beyond irritating to have to disconnect from VPN just to send a damned e-mail. Especially since I"m trying to run my VPN client through my router now.

Steve_A
      New Contributor III

To Cox Support.   What’s the excuse this time?     I’m visiting my friend’s  house in Tampa and on his Wi-Fi and I CAN’T Send Email!!    He has nothing special setup here on his Wi-Fi     He’s just a standard customer of Frontier FIOS Communications internet here in Tampa. 

Heres my internet connection from my iPhone while at his house

Heres the error I get from my iPhone as I try sending an email

Of course if I turn off Wi-Fi and go back to AT&T cellular service it works Ok    Yes    My outgoing SMTP properties are setup correctly    

Why is it that I can’t send email while on Wi-Fi connected to a major internet provider?   What is Cox doing to prevent me from sending email while connected to major internet provider?    This is very frustrating      

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hi Steve, can you please include a link to this forum thread and email us at cox.help@cox.com? Would you also be able to include screenshots of your incoming and outgoing settings as well? We'd like to verify the SMTP server settings, http://bit.ly/2KGsVKh, and that you are using TLS, if available. Please verify that the server name fields do NOT include east, west, or central. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator