Forum Discussion

JESinFC
New Contributor II
4 months ago
Solved

Cox Voice Phone Audio Issues on Calls

I see a few old threads on this issue, but they are a few years old, so starting a fresh one.

Over the last few months callers have complained that their audio on calls is very choppy and they can't carry on a conversation.  From my end at home, the calls sound fine. But we usually have to call them back on our cell phone to carry on a conversation.

Our equipment includes the Panoramic Gateway (CGM4331COM) with 3 CiOne wireless cable boxes. The internet service is fine (gigabit service) and tests consistently at 800-900 Mbit.  TV video/audio quality is perfect on all three CiOne attached TVs.  We use a top-end Panasonic wireless phone system with base and 5 handsets. The base unit is cabled directly to the Gateway's phone jack, so no house telephone wiring is involved.

Since the issue occurs regardless of which phone handset is in use, I figured perhaps we were having a phone issue with the Base Unit.  I got a brand-new AT&T phone to try out. Unfortunately, there was no difference during calls.  So, it appears not to be our phone.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue, and if solved, what was required.  I plan to call Cox support as well.

Thanks in advance.

Jim in Falls Church VA

• Thank you for following up with me. Just wanted to say for those that read this thread that the problem was in fact an issue in the Cox system, not anything at my house. As of today, according to callers, the sound quality is great and the issue is, for now, resolved.  Thanks Again!

Jim

11 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    MarkHodges
    New Contributor

Jim, I had an ahha moment this morning wrt our issue.  I now believe that the issue is capacity issue in the cox network.  Since it is always the other end of the call that has the poor clarity, it would be an upstream issue.  I have noticed that my issue usually happens during high capacity times like when folks are streaming football games.  Off times everything work fine.  I’ve downloaded PingPlotter to my iPad and I’m going to start tracking latency when I notice the issue on my Cox phone line.  This evening should be a good sample time.  The tech arrives this afternoon between 3 and 5 and currently there is no issue on the phone line.  This has to be a capacity issue.  BTW I’m on cable and not fiber since fiber is not available where I live in the back of the neighborhood.

I will let you know later this evening what is decided after the tech leaves.

Mark

JESinFC
      New Contributor II

Very interesting idea.  I'm on cable as well, but oddly on my internet service I have Gigabit DL speed with 30 Mbit UL speed (that consistently tests at 40 Mbit). I realize that the phone service probably rides on its own separate frequency channel (s) that have nothing to do with the internet channels and TV. At any rate, I've had Cox techs out numerous times in 2023 trying to improve signals to my house when my cable TV DVR and satellite boxes, which were all coax cabled, would frequently fail to boot due to poor signals. Eventually we went to a single coax cable serving the new Panoramic Gateway with all Cable TV boxes connected to it via WiFi.  All coax splitters, signal amplifiers, etc. were removed since no longer needed, and they even did some work on the pole to improve the incoming signal.  Once that was done, the Internet and TV have been spectacular - better than at any time in the last few years.  But alas... the phone service (which previously never had an issue) started acting up recently.  I will have the tech here tomorrow and will go over everything with him and see what he finds / does.  Will be sure to post an update if he fixes the issue.  Hang in there.

MarkHodges
    New Contributor

I have been having the same issue for about the last week.  Had the Cox tech out a few days ago and he check lines - all good,  replaced RJ11 phone cable - no change,  he decided to replace the modem and it seemed to fix for a day,  it now back to same problem.  

I saw a thread about 4 years ago using the description that voice was distorted on other end of line, which is same problem as this thread, I believe.  However, there was no solution listed from that thread.

I have the tech coming back out tomorrow, but I don’t know what else can be done at the house.  I have used a hard cable phone and same issue.  

I believe that the issue is upstream at some switching source.  It seems to be an analog to digital to analog issue.  Probably a software issue at Cox location that digitally switches to other providers.  

I hope the tech visit tomorrow is successful, if so, I will let you know results.

Mark

JESinFC
      New Contributor II

Thanks Mark.  I have a tech coming on Monday.  When I got Tier-2 support tonight, the sound was breaking up so bad on her end, we almost couldn't communicate. She acknowledged it was a problem with their equipment or service.  She tried the usual - reboot the gateway, and no improvement.   LOL I even switched to a 197x Ma Bell touch tone phone plugged into the gateway to totally eliminate my Wireless phone as a potential problem. :-)

Jim

JESinFC
      New Contributor II

Mark,

I received a callback from Cox today, informing me that they had in fact found an issue in their system and resolved it last night. I also had several incoming calls earlier today from friends who confirmed that the calls sounded fine; no breakup of the audio.  So it seems like the issue is now resolved. I did not ask for any technical details, but told the Cox representative that we'd monitor call quality and let them know if anyone mentions any call quality issues going forward.

Jim

JESinFC
    New Contributor II

Mark,

Tech visited today. Checked network signal levels at Gateway. He inspected incoming wiring and equipment at rear of house.  All was good.  He called my phone # from his cell and heard the choppy audio immediately.  We retested with several different phones connected to the gateway. Same result on all.  So he swapped out the gateway.  We retested the calls and there was no change.  He scratched his head and then decided the problem has to be farther upstream from my property. He plans to escalate it up the chain.  The saga continues. 🤔

JulianN

Hello, I am very sorry you have not had the best experience with Cox. I understand how important communication and reliable service is. We value your business, and I would be happy to help. Please email us your full name and complete address at Cox.Help@cox.com for further assistance. Thank you!