Forum Discussion

Voytek
New Contributor II
12 days ago

How to Use Cox e-mail Transitioned to Yahoo via Outlook ...

Just learned the details on how to do this - the instructions in e-mails we are getting are insufficient.

• Setting up yahoo account via link will only get you to the browser-based e-mail platform.  This is required as the first step.
  • Once this step is done, use these setting to set up Yahoo server in Outlook:  POP access settings and instructions for Yahoo Mail | Yahoo Help - SLN4724
  • Old passwords will work using web-based Yahoo platform, but they will not work using outlook!
  • New password is required to link Yahoo platform with Outlook - this is done this way:
    • Open Yahoo page, and under Top Right-side point to You name letter next to e-mail icon and select Account - Overview
    • Select Security - top 3rd from the left side.
    • In the middle on the right side select: Generate and manage app passwords.
    • Under App name enter Outlook.
    • Yahoo will generate loooong password - Copy save it, as this will be the only time you will see it!!
  • Paste this new password to Server Settings inside Outlook.
  • This will link the outlook with Yahoo ...

I hope this helps - it took me one hour with designated Yahoo help for Cox transition - 1-866-562-7250

Thyer are very knowledgeable and patient!

12 Replies

jkehl1
    New Contributor

Email transition is so unprofessional on so many fronts. I cannot believe a reputable provider can get away with this in this current age of tech. Poorly planned, tested and implemented.  They should pay us for all the wasted hours of trying to get this shi..ty patch to work. 

JulianN

Hello, I am very sorry you have not had the best experience with Cox. I understand how important communication and reliable service is. We value your business, and I would be happy to help. Please email us your “full” name, “complete” address, and a copy of your post to Cox.Help@cox.com for further assistance. Thank you!

beachhill
    New Contributor II

I was on hold with Yahoo (the phone number given in the transition information email) three times for a little over one hour EACH time. Why "each time"? Because "each time" I was in queue I GOT DISCONNECTED after one hour. Crazy. Finally I got hold of a Yahoo tech and spent just over FIVE HOURS on the phone with him trying set up my Apple 'Mail' on my laptop. I am now able to receive incoming mail, but I am not able to send out email using the server he set me up with. I have to use a Google server. It's just so out of whack that this is happening. The Yahoo tech fellow was very patient and remotely took over my computer, but it wasn't the best outcome as I just described. He did mention that Apple Mail and Outlook have been a problem for this transition. So what am I suppose to do now--spend another five hours on the phone?! They are not real tech experts at Yahoo for this transition. They know some stuff, but I actually had to help him out a bit. It's just not acceptable. I heard my wife say that some of her friends are having the same issues and are going to pay people like "Geek Squad" etc to resolve the issue because they have just been drained by all of this. Horrible situation!!!

paesan
    New Contributor

This works, thanks so much. I wasted hours trying to get this to work with Outlook. There is no excuse for Cox not providing the necessary and correct steps to get this to work in Outlook. Huge failure on Cox. I was very close to switching to Verizon because of this, and am still thinking about it.

Voytek
      New Contributor II

Excellent - glad it was of help!  I did ask Yahoo to provide this info in the e-mail announcing the transfer but sure it looks like they did not do this. E-mail is actually misleading in terms "if you want to keep using this platform".  I can see Cox not being familiar with Yahoo processes - but they should have learned these steps before - not like they did not have enough time 😉!  

beachhill
        New Contributor II

I am not able to give you a 'Like" for some reason. Cox, it seems, has completely  abandoned any interest or assistance in this so-called "transition".  We are out flapping in the wind on our own now no matter how many years we were loyal customers. Now, we at the mercy of Yahoo techies. I spent five hours with one of them--a nice fellow--on the phone, but he wasn't completely knowledgeable about what absolutely needs to be done. I still can't send mail our using Yahoo's server, although the fellow made it so that I can received Cox.net email on my Mac laptop using "Mail".  For some strange reason I can sent out mail using Googe's server and iCloud. I want to contact them again, but I'm afraid they'll mess up even what I am now able to do.

Anesti33
    New Contributor III

Folks, Yahoo! Mail has a native mobile app for you to use. If you insist on using third-party apps, then you should anticipate ongoing headaches, poor user experience, and limited feature sets. IMAP is a wonderful Internet standard that permitted any client to connect to any server, in theory. The reality today is far different.

Cox Email was different -- they provided a custom webmail interface that provided all features, and they willingly interoperated with third-party clients, rather than develop and publish one of their own. I would say that Cox was committed to this interoperability, because theirs is a telecommunications service, connecting disparate devices and OSes to the same network.

Yahoo! Mail will be best experienced through their own interfaces. The app publishers such as Google and Microsoft also operate top-tier email services, and while they provide mechanisms for you to consolidate your mailboxes in a single interface, they are not committed to interoperability or feature support, and an app password is merely a workaround for obsolete apps that refuse to support modern authentication frameworks. Beware.

beachhill
      New Contributor II

Interesting information. Thanks!. Is this an opinion of yours, or is this a true reality? I am not any sort of techie, so I can't say yea or nay about what you just posted. If it is true then Cox has let down a lot of loyal Mac users. I am thinking of contacting a web.com that used to be Dotster and see if I can have my own web page and associated email address. I will then have to go and update all of my contacts, which I really, really, don't want to do. I just really like Apple's "Mail" app on my laptop. it's simple and always has been reliable. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just something that is reliable, filters out a lot of spam and is secure. I don't know what to do. I spent five to six hours on the phone with a Yahoo tech and can only receive email, but have to use a Google server to send out email. I don't like having to go onto a browser to use Yahoo mail on my Mac laptop because there IS no dedicated app for laptop Mac OS. And I do not like the iOS app on my iPad. Don't know what to do. I'm 76 and fed up with all of this continual change.

LisaH

Hi beachhill. I will be glad to help you with the issue you are having with MacMail on your computer using cox.net email address after it transitioned to yahoo. Here is the information for the server settings for your outgoing mail. Before changing the settings, please make sure that you remove all emails out of your outbox. Then change the outgoing server settings to the following:

Outgoing Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com

• Port - 465 or 587
        • Requires SSL - Yes
        • Requires authentication - Yes

Your login info

• Email address - Your full email address (name@cox.net)
        • Password - whatever password you changed it to when you migrated to yahoo
        • Requires authentication - Yes

If you still have an issue after this, please contact us via Twitter at CoxHelp via DM, visit us on Facebook via private message, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. Thanks, Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator

sixfoot2
    New Contributor II

Thank you for this!  Been fussing with this for three days and I'm FINALLY up and running again.