Forum Discussion

dogmom
New Contributor
2 years ago

Replace Modem Scam

I received notification that I could upgrade my outdated modem at no additional cost. But when I tried to do so, it showed a cost of $5 per month. What a SCAM.  Spectrum never charges to swap out old equipment.  But COX continually bumps up my monthly rate. I'm paying over twice what I was 5 years ago.  Did anyone else get both the email and notification and sucessfully get a new modem without the monthly fee?

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III
    that I could

The keyword is "could."  If you're satisfied with your service, don't change it.  If you are not satisfied, buy your own equipment.

This email is just Cox trying to sell you something you don't need.  If Cox can still configure a DOCSIS 3.0 modem at 500 Mbps, I'd hardly call a DOCSIS 3.0 modem "outdated."

What is your current Internet plan?  What is the make/model of your current modem?  Do you have a separate router?  If so, what is its make and model?

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @Dogmom

It's possible your account could already have a promotion on it and not allow you to get the offer sent out. If you have an old modem the system automatically sends them out. I suggest calling 888-438-6673 between the hours of 8 AM - 8 PM Monday through Friday, or 9 AM - 6 PM on Saturdays to see what offers are available to you.

Jonathan J
    Cox Moderator