Forum Discussion

Gtsmiles
New Contributor II
12 months ago

Extremely high latency and packet loss

Hello,
Is anyone else having an intense amount of latency and packet loss? Over the course of the last 3 days, I have had an average latency of 2699mS. Additionally, I get 100% packet loss more than 3 times an hour when I get home from work.
This has been an issue from the first day of installation when I moved into my new home. The only way my connections have changed is the location of my home. When contacting support via online chat, I have been assured there is no issue on Cox's end.

I would agree that WiFi devices could see stuttering due to not being in the same room as the router -- however, the devices utilizing ethernet experience these issues at the exact same time.

Apologies for the frustrated rant.

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

There are MANY things that can cause packet loss. I just had to replace the cable wire from my Internet modem to my splitter, because I was getting ingress on it, causing it, AND the telephone modem on the other side of the splitter to get packet loss. The first thing I would do is, replace all cable wires IN the house as well as any splitters you can. That includes the barrel connectors in the wall plates as well. That way, it either fixes the problem, or ensures it's outside, so when a trouble call is setup and a tech comes out, it doesn't cost you 75$ 

If you have Cox Complete Care, then forego all the above and setup a tc, since it won't cost you anything no matter where the problem is. 

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

First, can you run a trace to 8.8.8.8? Or force a IPv4 trace. Perhaps IPv6 routing is different then IPv4 routing. It will also show double NAT. Next, post your modem's/gateway's signal levels. If a modem, should be available at 192.168.100.1. Last, what model modem and router do you have?

Gtsmiles
      New Contributor II

I will collect a couple hours worth of data and upload it -- to answer your question about router: 

PW8
      Brand: TECHNICOLOR
      Model: CGM4981COM

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Looks like some of the packet loss is between the modem/router and Cox and some is between the PC and modem/router. Was that a wired connection to the router? Also, can you post your signal levels? Red is bad.

Gtsmiles
      New Contributor II

This is an album documenting the connection.

Allan
        @Gtsmiles, I recommend sending an email with your full name, address, and a link to this thread to cox.help@cox.com. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
      ExtraChrispy
      Contributor III

2600:8800:: is usually allocated to customer equipment on the Cox network.  Given that your loss starts at the 1st hop that suggests a problem closer to home so I'd recommend the general troubleshooting steps of trying to bypass your router if it's not a gateway as well as testing other devices connected directly to the modem.