Forum Discussion

BobCo
New Contributor
7 years ago

Emiail Accounts set InActive every day or two

How much longer will I have to check my Email Accounts to see if they are set to Inactive?

I am currently checking first thing in the morning, once or twice during the day and once at night to see if some Email Accounts have been set to Inactive and Reactivate them if needed. It is a pain to do but would not have to do it so often but any Email sent to me, while the Email Account is Inactive, is lost and the sender gets no Notification that their email was not received. It would be better if the Emails sent to me were stored so when I Reactivate the Accounts, the Emails send while Inactive would be received  by me. Furthermore, I get no Notification that an Email Account has been set to Inactive,  then I would not have to check three or four times a day. Also, when my Email Software is checking the Accounts to send and receive, no error message is displayed indicating the Account is Inactive.

20 Replies

BobCo
    New Contributor

It started  more than a month ago, and for a while - about two weeks ago - the accounts stop being set to Inactive. I was told that when they are set to inactive again, I would get an email telling me that they are about to be set to Inactive. Unfortunately, I had stopped checking every morning so I do not know how long the Accounts  were Inactive and how many Emails I have missed. and people sending the emails do not get a notification that the Email did not reach me.

When is this going to be Fixed

BobCo
    New Contributor

Checked again this morning and some accounts were set Inactive. So I will have to check every morning again   this is very annoying.

• @BobCo

Is this happening with all email accounts now or just one? Also, are you getting any error messages such as authentication errors? 

Thanks,

Allan - Cox Support Forums Moderator.

BobCo
    New Contributor

All except the main account but different ones each day . This mkrning it was three out of 7 that were set to Inactive. Yesterdsy i were some but were forpur set Inactive.

• Hi BobCo,

We need more details in order to continue investigating this issue. Out of your nine email accounts, we need to know when each specific email address is showing as inactive. We asked that you email our team at cox.help@cox.com because we don't want you to post all of the information we need on this public forum.

• BobCo said:

what is a "the result after these steps is a green confirmation message."  ?? I do not get a message that an account has been inactivated or reactivated. If there was such emails, I would not have to log in and go to the Profile/User Accounts page and check three times a day.

I have had to reactive some Email Accounts every day or so. I check early in the morning to check which ones have been set to Inactive and then I Reactivate them and I then sent an email to the account and send an email from the account to tell the Server " I am an active Account". 

However,  again this morning an account was set to Inactive even though I have been doing the above procedure for three weeks now. so this morning I sent and received an email through this account after I  reactivated it .. 

Cox Communications is not big on notifying/informing its paying customers of much.  Any time there's an outage- planned or otherwise, we find out when our service goes down.  I question whether ground level tech support is informed either because invariably, an issue that proves to be a Cox problem is initially approached as though it's an issue with the customers computer, modem, wiring.  This seems to be oriented toward instigating a tech visit for which the customer is likely to get billed.

BobCo
    New Contributor

I logged  into Cox.com with each account, as I did two days ago, and this morning four accounts were set to Inactive. so logging into cox.com does not work to keep them Active and accessing the email accounts to send or receive emails does not work either. so I do not know how many emails I missed since they are not stored on the  Cox email  server

I sent to you the emails that have been set Inactive this morning, and kept two Inactive to facilitate finding and fixing the problem

• Hi BobCo,

Our email administrators identified a backend issue causing some user IDs to go inactive. This issue has been addressed and resolved. Two of your accounts are currently showing “inactive” in our system. Reactivate and log into each account one more time. Our email administrators state that your accounts should no longer go inactive. Thanks for your patience as we worked to fix this for you!

BobCo
    New Contributor

Becky,

For the past almost ten years I have had Cox Email accounts, I never had to log in to Cox.com with each of the Accounts to keep them Active. In fact I never had an Account set to Inactive except for the last two months .  The Cox page about Reactivating an Inactive Account says checking for new Email is all that is required  to keep accounts active for it to happened at least 180 days. ( see Below ) and not that one has to log in to Cox for each account each month is needed to keep them active 

I would suggest that the Cox web page  on Reactivating an Account ( see below )  should be changed to     account has not been used to logged into Cox.com for at least  30 days following the user's last login. .

I would also be good if an email is sent to the Primary Account indicating that unless an User Account is used to log in, the Account will be set to Inactive in a week. People might forget, get busy,  or are on a  long vacation so  there should be an email reminder to log in with all their Accounts so Cox customers will not lose the emails set to them while the account is Inactive. Maybe emails sent while an Account is set Inactive is stored for a month.

Or maybe the Email Servers are fixed so account holders do not have log in with each account every month to keep them Active like it has been for years.

So until these changes are made, maybe the Ticket should be kept open.

Best Regards,

BobC

==========================

Cox Website

Reactivating an Inactive Cox Email Account

Solution

Cox Email accounts are locked for inactivity when any primary or secondary mailbox has not been checked for new email for at least 180 days following the user's last access. No new email is accepted and all messages are returned to sender while the account is locked for inactivity.

To reactivate an inactive Cox Email account, use the primary User ID that you set up during your initial online registration to log in. Refer to Understanding Digital Identities and Account Types for more information.

• Hi BobCo,

Thanks for your taking the time to post your suggestions! I have forwarded your post to our leadership team. Have you had any further difficulty with your email accounts changing to "inactive" status?