Forum Discussion

parriotburrito
New Contributor
4 months ago

Cox Parent Control Not Functioning

Hello, I've encountered a problem with Parental Controls with it not making a significant difference. I was Curious to test them on my computer, and I patiently waited for over 24 hours, yet they still don't block major inappropriate websites. Any ideas into what might be causing this issue? 

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

If your child(s) aren't too tech savvy you could try OpenDNS Family shield and change the DNS on the machine you are trying to control. It only blocks known adult sites so anything made recently won't be blocked but it gets the major stuff. You should also enable Google SafeSearch on the account used by them.

For devices you can't customize DNS settings you "might" be able to change the DNS on the router itself. First, log into the Panoramic app. To access the advanced settings, tap on the Connect tab, then See Network. From the My Network screen, tap Advanced Settings then look for DNS server. However I thought Cox locked down their DNS options so it may not work.

As for why the Cox stuff doesn't work, I don't know. Don't have a Panoramic gateway. You said it doesn't make a "significant difference" but does it block anything?

parriotburrito
      New Contributor

Hi, thank you for your responding. Regarding the DNS issue, I've read and it seems that it's restricted if you have the Cox's equipment, and if I were to like to have a different router/modem, I'd have to buy one, which I currently can't afford right now. Since it's free for a year, I'd rather take advantage for that.

As for Cox Parental Controls, they don't shown a significant impact. For example, when I type keywords like "P*rn" in a Google search, it doesn't display any explicit content on the top pages. However, if I enter the URL directly, like www.p*rnhub.com, I can still access the website and watch videos without any restrictions, so I don't really understand if that's the full extent if you can easily bypass it.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        parriotburrito wrote:

I've read and it seems that it's restricted if you have the Cox's equipment

I heard it is restricted too but that is just DNS on the router, not on devices themselves. However did you atleast try? If so, and it didn't work, try changing the DNS on the devices. There are instructions how on the OpenDNS site I linked. Safesearch should handle Google searches and DNS should handle the individual websites. This won't help if the child is knowledgeable enough to change the DNS settings though. There are other work arounds like using a cell phone hotspot or VPN.