Forum Discussion

datc
New Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Allow Netflix without requiring pin but parental controls active?

Hi

I have the contour system, parental controls are setup.  The only issue I have is that when going to netflix it asks for a pin, how do I stop netflix from requiring a pin?

Thanks.

• Contour and Comcast X1 are the same platform.

Last year, an X1 user reported the same problem on the Comcast forum:  "...any parental ratings restrictions on the X1, Netflix will be pin gated..."

A rep said the PIN prompt is intended because after entering the Netflix app, you could watch any program on Netflix regardless of the ratings lock(s) on your X1 box.  In other words, Netflix could also bypass your restrictions on Contour...so it prompts for your PIN.  Therefore, if you set any restriction on Contour, Netflix will require your PIN.

Comcast users opined as inconvenience, difficult, works as designed.

One contributor had a crude workaround.
    1.  Go to TV Rating Locks
    2.  Lock TV-MA
    3.  Under TV-MA, go to additional categories
    4.  Set as follows:
         - L (Coarse or Crude Language)...Unlock
         - V (Violence)......................................Lock
         - S (Sexual Situations)......................Lock

I don't have Contour so I can't experiment, but the contributor said this setting will allow Netflix to start without having to enter the parental code.

Comcast users then opined as awesome workaround, worked perfect, not perfect but better than nothing.

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I don't have Contour but under Parental Controls, Netflix sounds like it'd be an Apps Lock within the Feature Locks.

Parental Controls > Feature Locks > Apps Lock

• datc

Do you have the voice control remote control?

StephanieS
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • Hi datc,

Please open the Netflix app on the Contour box, after it fully loads check the settings to see if any parental controls are set.

datc
    New Contributor

the app version doesn't have any of those types of settings in netflix itself (only to change email or password), i set those logged in via a computer at netflix.   The apps lock is off on those with parental controls enabled, looking at the list, netflix is there (unlocked as all are unlocked), but trying to go to netflix asks for a password.  ?

keddy
    New Contributor III

datc :

I am not sure I completely understand your problem, so my comment may not be of help. The first time you access Netflix through Contour 2 you have to enter your Netflix user name and password. This is a one time procedure and you should not be asked for the Netflix user name and password again. This is necessary even though you have accessed Netflix through your computer.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Contour and Comcast X1 are the same platform.

Last year, an X1 user reported the same problem on the Comcast forum:  "...any parental ratings restrictions on the X1, Netflix will be pin gated..."

A rep said the PIN prompt is intended because after entering the Netflix app, you could watch any program on Netflix regardless of the ratings lock(s) on your X1 box.  In other words, Netflix could also bypass your restrictions on Contour...so it prompts for your PIN.  Therefore, if you set any restriction on Contour, Netflix will require your PIN.

Comcast users opined as inconvenience, difficult, works as designed.

One contributor had a crude workaround.
    1.  Go to TV Rating Locks
    2.  Lock TV-MA
    3.  Under TV-MA, go to additional categories
    4.  Set as follows:
         - L (Coarse or Crude Language)...Unlock
         - V (Violence)......................................Lock
         - S (Sexual Situations)......................Lock

I don't have Contour so I can't experiment, but the contributor said this setting will allow Netflix to start without having to enter the parental code.

Comcast users then opined as awesome workaround, worked perfect, not perfect but better than nothing.