Forum Discussion

JohnSmith87
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Random Internet Connection Drops

So I've noticed this problem when switching to Cox.  Pretty much every day, at some point in the day, I will either pick up my phone and try to browse a site on the wifi or I will open a browser on my PC and try to do a search, and nothing.  Connection just times out.  I try again, nothing, times out.  Then eventually after 3 or 4 tries, the circuit appears to reconnect and everything works perfect.  Has anyone else seen this type of behavior?  This was happening to me when I had the Panoramic Wifi router, so I decided to get my own (Arris SBG7400AC2).  When I first replaced the modem everything worked flawless, and no more problems.  Then about 2-3 weeks in, it started doing the same thing.

Just for some background, I've already had the technicians test the lines multiple times and the signal strength is good.  When I had the Panoramic, they tested that too and saw no issues.

This is incredibly frustrating.  Mainly because I have certain services that I need to remain connected to the internet at all times, and with the connection going up and down like this it makes that near impossible.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

16 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • I have been experiencing the same thing.  What you have written is almost exactly my situation, except it's happening mostly on my TV. This started a little over a month ago. I will be watching something and all of a sudden, it will just start buffering.  After a long while if waiting, I eventually check my settings (photos below, but these photos were taken when it was working) and instead of saying connected, like shown in the photo, it says, "connected with errors"  When this happens, I have to click on "forget network" and then I have to find mine, which is Champ, re-enter my password and connect again. When It is connected,  the signal strength constantly bounces between good and very good, it is never excellent.  When I called tech support almost two months ago, they said I was using an outdated modem and also sent a tech to my home.  The service tech said he found some problems with the outside and inside wiring, so he did something to those things, he replaced the modem and also told me I was connecting to my "guest account" instead of the main account, so he switched my Champ account to the 5 GHz and said I am all fixed up now.  It worked great for 2-3 weeks, but now we are back to it doing the exact same thing, sometimes several times a day.  This is very frustrating! 

On a separate note, I never knew until that day that I even have a main account and a guest account and I forgot to ask him before he left, how to find the guest account, what would it even be named, what would the password be and basically how to connect to it and when should I even be using the guest account?  I did tell him that day that we only use internet for our TV's and our cell phones and do not have a laptop or a desktop in our home at this time.  I'm wondering if the guest account is only for laptop or desktop use?

FRUSTRATED and CONFUSED

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      @internetdaze Hi Internetdaze, we understand this can be quite frustrating to deal with, and we are deeply sorry to learn about this negative experience. I do see a technician is going out to the home to take a closer look. If you continue to have issues after the technician leaves, please feel free to reach out to us at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
  • Hi JohnSmith87,

I am sorry to learn of your chronic troubles. I recommend bypassing any splitters. Upon losing connection, do you notice if the lights shut off temporarily? I would also recommend changing the wireless channel in the router settings. You may need to try a couple different channels.

Latitia
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      JohnSmith87
      New Contributor II

Latitia,

Thank you for the reply.  I can tell you this is not an issue with the wireless.  This is also the same behavior on the hard-wired connection right into the router.  And as I mentioned, the signal to the router has been tested and is in the green, so that's not the problem either.  To answer your question, no the lights are always fine on the router - green across the board.

It's almost as if the connection temporarily drops like the old DSL connections used to.  Then as you try to generate traffic, it eventually re-connects (after multiple tries).

I'm also having issues connecting to my corporate SSL VPN over the hard wire.  It will connect and disconnect repeatedly.  This is an issue I've never had on another ISP.

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        @johnsmith87 Hi John, can you please check to ensure that the connections are tightly secure and free of damage? Your modem is not responding correctly, and I am unable to retrieve any signal levels. If you'd like additional support, please include a link to this forum thread and email us at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi JohnSmith87, your modem does not appear to be responding properly. At this point, it may be best to send out a service technician. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us directly for further assistance. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    ajgringo619
    New Contributor III

Just replaced my last modem due to this exact same problem; mine was also randomly rebooting. Now, after 2 days with a new modem, I just had the internet die again (for only a few seconds). This has been going on for nearly a month now.

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi Ajgringo619, your modem does not appear to be responding at the moment, and I'm not seeing any outages reported in your area at this time. Can you please check to ensure that all cables are secured nice and tight? If you have a splitter, I recommend bypassing it, to see if this temporarily resolves the issue. Here's some more information on how to improve the service:

http://bit.ly/2Kq4uR5
      http://bit.ly/2UZZff1

Please feel free to email us at cox.help@cox.com, should you need any further troubleshooting assistance. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
        ajgringo619
        New Contributor III

The tech came out to work on an issue with Cox Homelife; the internet issue was secondary. After going round and round trying to get the hub to reconnect to my new modem, it turns out that the modem doesn't play well with WiFi passwords that have special characters. After fixing that, everything - including my intermittent internet issues - have gone away. If this really is the reason - and I'm still doubting that it is - why was I allowed to enter a password with special characters in the first place???

Patzfantb12
    New Contributor

I agree, I've been experiencing the same issue for 2 weeks in tiverton.  I started a Facebook blog and 25 people in my immediate area of town experience the same drops at the same time.  I had Cox out yesterday to trouble shoot my equipment and everything was good.  They could not explain the drops, but said it's a bigger issue.  Had two drops this morning between 9am and 11 am.  I called Fter the second cop and all they wanted to do was trouble shoot at reset my modem.  Obviously there is a probelm on the network down here in tiverton.  Please call and complain until its fixed 

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi Patzfantb12, we want all of our customers to have a uniquely positive experience with our services, and I'm sorry you're having internet issues. We recommend checking to ensure that all cables are tightly secured and free of damage? I'm not seeing any packet loss at this time. If you'd like, we'd be glad to offer additional troubleshooting assistance. Please feel free to send us an email at cox.help@cox.com, to get started. We can also be reached on Facebook and Twitter as well. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    amcfanny
    New Contributor

I've been having problems with my internet taking hits several times a day for weeks. I have multiple computers connected and wifi and roku. Its so aggravating. It usual resets itself. Sometimes I have to disconnect power. Really really wish this would stop happening.

Allan
      @Amcfanny, We can certainly look into this ongoing issue for you. Please send us an email with your full name, address, and a brief description of the issue to cox.help@cox.com. Thanks. -Allan Cox Support Forums Moderator.