Forum Discussion

lhn_fan
New Contributor III
6 years ago

IMAP Server Settings

Looking at the server settings on the Cox support website I see the following statement:

"As of April 23, 2019, SSL will no longer be a valid security setting. All customers with SSL enabled will need to disable SSL or will no longer be able to send or receive email."

Looking at the inbound IMAP settings I see the following:

Incoming Mail Settings
  • Server name: imap.cox.net
  • Port number 993 with SSL enabled and the authentication box checked, if available

The outbound SMTP settings show settings for SSL and TLS.  I am currently using the TLS settings.

What settings should we use as of April 23rd for inbound IMAP if SSL is no longer available?  Are there any TLS settings available for us to use?

3 Replies

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hello, in 2014, the internet standards board deemed SSL unsecured. Email messages sent from a Cox Email address will now require TLS v.1.0 security encryption or later. TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, TLS 1.2, and TLS 1.3 are compatible with Cox Email. SSL v3 and prior are not supported. For SMTP, we would recommend 587 with TLS enabled. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      lhn_fan
      New Contributor III

I'm already using TLS and port 587 for SMTP.  What should I use for my incoming IMAP settings?  The Cox website states that we will not be able to send or receive using SSL, but only SSL settings are provided for IMAP.

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hi Lhn_fan, this is the most up-to-date information we currently have for IMAP settings, http://bit.ly/2KQPxYm. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator