Forum Discussion

blackcow
New Contributor
6 years ago

Anniversary Celebration

Very often when on the internet the page I’m reading is replaced with 

Congratulation, Dear Cox Communications LLC User,

We are holding an anniversary celebration to loyalty users.

Please click 'OK' to claim your reward.

You have to delete the page and start over.

how do you stop this from happening?

6 Replies

• Hi Blackcow, is this displayed as a pop-up message in its own window? Or is the web address of the website you were trying to access replaced with a completely different web address? It sounds like a page redirect. When a web browser attempts to open a URL that has been redirected, a page with a different URL is opened. The next time this happens, let us know the URL of the website you are trying to access (for example: https://myconnection.cox.com/) and the website displayed at the top of the "Anniversary Celebration" message. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      GV4ever
      New Contributor

Having the same problem. Accessing 9to5mac.com and hijacked to https//abestgiftforagirl.ooo. Have accesses a couple of different sites too with this outcome. Have cleared website and history data to no avail. This seems only to be happening on my Mac iOS software.

Becky
        Hi GV4ever, it sounds like you may be impacted by a browser hijacking that also locks up your browser. What web browser are you using? When surfing the web on my iPad, I will occasionally get routed to a "you've won! Click OK to claim your prize" website that seems to take over Safari. No matter what website I try to get to, I'm instead routed to a spam site. The only way to fix this is to force-quit Safari, and then clear all website data using the following steps: open Settings, tap Safari, scroll down and tap Advanced, tap Website Data, and then tap Remove All Website Data. When you open Safari again, the offending page should be gone. If clearing your history and data doesn’t work, turn off JavaScript temporarily. (Open Settings, tap Safari, tap Advanced, and then tap the JavaScript toggle to OFF.) Relaunch Safari and you should be able to close the offending tab. You can then turn JavaScript back on. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • Scan your computer for malware and viruses.  The message reads like broken English and it's a good bet that it's an attempt at phishing.  If I read your post correctly the behavior is similar to that of a browser hijack.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

a good Internet Safety course would help.