Forum Discussion

bciarcia
New Contributor
6 years ago

Cox Gigablast not truly seeing 1Gbps speed

So, like so many other people, I just ordered the gigablast and am only seeing about 500mb if im lucky.  I spent an hour on the phone with a tech and was told it was an admin issue and they are working on it.  never heard back.  called back and was told there is no issue on their end.  they finally sent a tech out to look..  He  was here for almost 2hrs.  he gets a gig when he hooks up his tester to the coax.  As soon as he plug the modem in (I have a netgear CM1000), it only shows 500..  He tried his PC and a couple of my PCs.. same thing.  switched out the modem for one off his truck and got worse speed.   He finally said there is nothing else he can do.. He didn't understand what was happening and suggested that I call a senior tech to come out.  He also stated (candid-ly) cox is really not ready for 1gb speeds yet.  

Anyway, I call back, extremely frustrated.  they schedule a senior tech to come out.  Two techs came out today to look.. Apparently, there was a new firmware for their meter that needed to downloaded because it wasn't giving the right speed.  he had the new firmware and tested the coax.  he got a gig.  hooked up the modem and tested the ethernet.  when it finally started giving him a speedtest, he was able to see the gig.  As he was testing he says that there isnt a site out there right now that will give you a true test. He tells me that Cox will ONLY GUARANTEE 1gb from their server in Rhode Island.  Coincidently, that is where their meter tests to..  They can pump out a gig from their server all day long, but if they are not getting a gig in, then YOU aren't getting a gig.    You are only as fast as your slowest connection.  COX SHOULD BE WARNING PEOPLE ABOUT THIS!!!  IM PAYING FOR A GIG!!  I SHOULD GET A GIG!!!! 

Im downloading a 4gb file for work as we speak.  its going to take 3hrs..  3HRS???????????

2 Replies

imno007
    New Contributor II

If it's taking you three hours to download a 4GB file, the problem is likely due to the server you're downloading from, NOT your download speed - either that or your download speed is averaging a LOT less than 500mbps. I have Cox Ultimate (all I can get here) and average around 370 down, and I can tell you for a fact that I can download a 5GB file from Google Drive in just a few minutes.

Samibrahim1
    New Contributor

*** I wrote a whole article and it never posted as there is some ** Where was not posted the forums are just a waste no one listens to you it’s is directed by Cox so what you think they will let you to write the truth .