Forum Discussion

Flinx
Contributor
10 months ago

spam filter settings missing in new webmail

the new webmail ** I never wanted or asked for churched up webmail.

I have had to setup multiple filters to block spam that (after many years of none) has started to inundate my account.

I have had to create filters to keep known good email addresses and other criteria.

now emails that came in just fine are going to my SPAM folder.

problems is I disabled ALL my filters and certain emails still end up in the SPAM folder.

specifically xxxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com (where x's are the phone number)

marking them as "not spam" does nothing other than put them in my inbox.

the old spam settings seem to have disappeared from settings.

41 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • also I never get a notification of replies. I checked the settings and I never get an email when someone replies to any post I have made on this forum.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Yea, I think that feature has been broken since the last UI overhaul several years ago. drvegas has a ticket open for it as discussed here.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

That is distressing that the new webmail doesn't have the same spam settings. I think it has to do with Cox switched to a whole new email provider. Used to be hosted by Rackspace but now it's on Leaseweb. 

• I just thought of something and logged in to the webmail with all my other accounts. 3 of which I rarely use, no filters were ever created spam settings were never enabled and sent a text to those accounts ALL of them went directly to their respective spam folders indicating that xxxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com is being sent directly to the spam folders server side.

strangely one of my email accounts still logs in to the old webmail as https://legacy-myemail.cox.net allowing me to check the old spam filter setting which was off.

Flinx
      Contributor

also I cannot send to my cell phone at @vzwpix.com

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Would you be able to take screenshots of the new spam settings vs the old settings? We might not get another chance to document the problem as more and more are migrated to the new platform. Also, have you contacted Cox about this issue?

Flinx
      Contributor

suddenly out of nowhere texting from my phone to my email now works again. huh weird.

• 3 emails I sent to my phone text messaging came in 4 or 5 hours after I sent them.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

We are used to email being almost instantaneous, but IAW RFC specification for email delivery has to take place within 24 hours of being sent. While I understand it's frustrating that your emails from your phone text messaging came in hours later, you will have to look at the properties of the email, and check header information, to see when they were ACTUALLY sent by your phone provider/messaging provider, and then compare with when cox received and processed. SOMETIME'S, it's not Cox's fault, and also, even if your phone provider sent it to Cox in a second of your hitting send, remember, if it's in your email box within 24 hours of the actual send time, it's within specifications. 

Flinx
        Contributor

I'm well aware of how email can work. I managed email server for years. it used to happen within a minute. after reading the other posts I sent a picture to my email and that went to my inbox. a text message with anything else will not, even though each text message has a text file as an attachment it goes to my spam folder.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

I may have read that backwards, if the first reply IS backwards, let me know. A test from Cox webmail sent at 14:27 arrived as a text message on my phone at 14:31.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Was it a blank email? I wonder if emails with links and attachments take longer because they get scanned by Cox's anti-spam.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes the servers get backed up. Still the same now? If so, try sending yourself a email(1 with photo attached and 1 blank) and see how long it takes.

DocDNA
    New Contributor

I set up a filter to move all emails to the inbox to get around the lack of a spam setting in the new webmail interface.

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

Email that's been flagged as spam when it's received isn't typically available for filter rules.  If you can verify that such an email was routed to Inbox by a user defined filter rule, please let us know.

DocDNA
        New Contributor

I will. I added the rule to all of my Cox emails and will know if it works by tomorrow as I typically get a few spam emails. 

• so it appears that the new mail servers spam blocking routes all sorts of spam to my spam folder. problem is that it's ignoring my filters which means that emails with a FROM that never changes cannot be filtered. what's annoying is that it doesn't mark it as spam like the old server so I keep thinking I am doing something wrong with the filters.

examples are:

The Press Rundown<updates@mail.pressrundown.com>

Join Membership<laughing@n2.funnyeditor.com>

Words Trivia<trivia@mail.wordstrivia.com>

I have filters for the above which are supposed to discard the emails. they aren't being discarded and instead are going to my spam folder.

what's really annoying is that I went for almost 12 years without any spam (or very litte), and in the last 2 years have started getting inundated with it.

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

You could have saved a lot of typing if you'd read the reply immediately above yours.  

Filter Rules don't apply to email flagged as spam by one of the email security companies.

Flinx
        Contributor

well that's just stupid. how can I filter them properly if they skip my filters and I have no control over them.