Forum Discussion

wmsolo
New Contributor
13 days ago
Solved

smtp.cox.net outgoing server not working

I just transitioned my Cox email to Yahoo! and it seems to have worked. However, I use the Mail application on my MacBook Pro, and I can no longer send mail through any of my email addresses (Gmail, Yahoo). It seems as this transition screwed up my outgoing server settings. 

What should the incoming AND outgoing server settings be? Thanks so much!

• on one of the other posts there was a pretty good set of clues on how to transition from COX to YAHOO! using Mac mail (OSX)... it was not exactly correct.  Having now transitioned 9 accounts, I think this is the correct recipe.

please share and thanks to Lyndonb95 with the original post that no longer has replies enabled.  credit where credit is due!  

These instructions are exclusively for Mac Mail on the Mac OS.

1. Do NOT simply add a new account by selecting "Yahoo" as the email type... this leads to agony.
      Instead, open “System Preferences” > “Internet Accounts” and select “Add account…” > “Add Other Account…” > “Mail account”
    2. When presented with the log on screen, Type in your Cox.net account as username@cox.net and the “one time password” from the instructions below in Item B
    3. You should be able to sign into Yahoo.com, but after some “spinning wheel” time, the system will issues an error “Unable to verify account name or password”.  
    4. You need to correct the IMAP and SMTP settings from the information below in Item A (from imap.cox.net to imap.mail.yahoo.com and
      smtp.cox.net to smtp.mail.yahoo.com ). 
    5. You also MUST add your user name with username@cox.net
    6. Click “sign in”… technically, this is your “first” sign in with your “single” sign on password
    7. More “spinning wheel” time
    8. This should sign you into Yahoo.com with the correct imap and smtp settings
    9. You will get a screen “select apps you want to used with this account”
    10. Verify “Mail” is checked; up to you if you wish to click “Notes”
    11. Click Done
    12. Believe it or not, the account is now created … But it doesn’t work!!
      If it does work, consider yourself EXTREMELY LUCKY and skip to step 25… otherwise, continue to 13 (ironic number, eh?)
    13. Close and reopen “System settings” > “Internet Accounts” and select your new “COX” account
    14. Odds are that the new account shows “offline” (“Mail” > “Setting” > “Select” new Cox account and it likely shows “red” ball = Status: “offline”
    15. Click on “Server Settings”.  You should see all of the detailed setting for an IMAP account
    16. Create a new Single Sign-On password in Yahoo! Account (the 1st one won’t work anymore as you have already used it) and close the window in Yahoo (this seems to make a difference)
    17. Enter your Single Sign-On password again (yep, again) in “Password:”
    18. Unclick “automatically manage connections settings” > verify port number and click “Use TLS” for both imap and smtp setting
    19. Verify “password” is selected for Authentication:
    20. Click “Save”
    21. Go back and delete the 1st “Single Sign-On password” from yahoo.com
    22. More “spinning wheel” time… I have actually had this require uptake to 5 attempts to get it right; at some point it finally succeeds and the account becomes “Verified”
    23. Delete the old Cox account from your list of accounts; it is “dead” anyways
    24. Close “Accounts” tab
    25. You should now be receiving emails on the Cox-Yahoo! Account on MacMail… the status button may still show “red”
    26. Verify receiving info and sending out emails

Item A: server info:
    Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server
    Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
    Port - 993
    Requires SSL - Yes
    Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server
    Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    Port - 465 or 587 (only 465 works for me)
    Requires SSL - Yes
    Requires authentication - Yes
    Your login info
    Email address - Your full email address (name@domain.com)
    Password - Generate App Password

Item B: Single Sign On Password: When it comes to the password, do not use the password you created for Yahoo email--that is fine to use on the iPhone but not here. Instead you must go up to the Yahoo web site--login with your new Yahoo password. Then select your account and you'll be prompted to login again (I know--you did that already to get into your webmail but that is how they do it), and then navigate to security just below the header, select that. Scroll down and on the right hand side you'll see an option to Generate an App Password. Select that and you'll be given the option to create and copy a unique password--and that is the password you want to paste into the password field on your mac.

7 Replies

tkaz
    New Contributor II

on one of the other posts there was a pretty good set of clues on how to transition from COX to YAHOO! using Mac mail (OSX)... it was not exactly correct.  Having now transitioned 9 accounts, I think this is the correct recipe.

please share and thanks to Lyndonb95 with the original post that no longer has replies enabled.  credit where credit is due!  

These instructions are exclusively for Mac Mail on the Mac OS.

1. Do NOT simply add a new account by selecting "Yahoo" as the email type... this leads to agony.
      Instead, open “System Preferences” > “Internet Accounts” and select “Add account…” > “Add Other Account…” > “Mail account”
    2. When presented with the log on screen, Type in your Cox.net account as username@cox.net and the “one time password” from the instructions below in Item B
    3. You should be able to sign into Yahoo.com, but after some “spinning wheel” time, the system will issues an error “Unable to verify account name or password”.  
    4. You need to correct the IMAP and SMTP settings from the information below in Item A (from imap.cox.net to imap.mail.yahoo.com and
      smtp.cox.net to smtp.mail.yahoo.com ). 
    5. You also MUST add your user name with username@cox.net
    6. Click “sign in”… technically, this is your “first” sign in with your “single” sign on password
    7. More “spinning wheel” time
    8. This should sign you into Yahoo.com with the correct imap and smtp settings
    9. You will get a screen “select apps you want to used with this account”
    10. Verify “Mail” is checked; up to you if you wish to click “Notes”
    11. Click Done
    12. Believe it or not, the account is now created … But it doesn’t work!!
      If it does work, consider yourself EXTREMELY LUCKY and skip to step 25… otherwise, continue to 13 (ironic number, eh?)
    13. Close and reopen “System settings” > “Internet Accounts” and select your new “COX” account
    14. Odds are that the new account shows “offline” (“Mail” > “Setting” > “Select” new Cox account and it likely shows “red” ball = Status: “offline”
    15. Click on “Server Settings”.  You should see all of the detailed setting for an IMAP account
    16. Create a new Single Sign-On password in Yahoo! Account (the 1st one won’t work anymore as you have already used it) and close the window in Yahoo (this seems to make a difference)
    17. Enter your Single Sign-On password again (yep, again) in “Password:”
    18. Unclick “automatically manage connections settings” > verify port number and click “Use TLS” for both imap and smtp setting
    19. Verify “password” is selected for Authentication:
    20. Click “Save”
    21. Go back and delete the 1st “Single Sign-On password” from yahoo.com
    22. More “spinning wheel” time… I have actually had this require uptake to 5 attempts to get it right; at some point it finally succeeds and the account becomes “Verified”
    23. Delete the old Cox account from your list of accounts; it is “dead” anyways
    24. Close “Accounts” tab
    25. You should now be receiving emails on the Cox-Yahoo! Account on MacMail… the status button may still show “red”
    26. Verify receiving info and sending out emails

Item A: server info:
    Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server
    Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
    Port - 993
    Requires SSL - Yes
    Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server
    Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    Port - 465 or 587 (only 465 works for me)
    Requires SSL - Yes
    Your login info
    Email address - Your full email address (name@domain.com)
    Password - Generate App Password

Item B: Single Sign On Password: When it comes to the password, do not use the password you created for Yahoo email--that is fine to use on the iPhone but not here. Instead you must go up to the Yahoo web site--login with your new Yahoo password. Then select your account and you'll be prompted to login again (I know--you did that already to get into your webmail but that is how they do it), and then navigate to security just below the header, select that. Scroll down and on the right hand side you'll see an option to Generate an App Password. Select that and you'll be given the option to create and copy a unique password--and that is the password you want to paste into the password field on your mac.

niki1
      Visitor

Hello, I have tried all the above and I have inputted apple.stmp.yahoo.com as stmp outgoing but still not able to send from my macbook.  Any other ideas?

wmsolo
      New Contributor

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This worked for my MacOS Mail...now, what do I do for my iPhone? :)  Do I need to generate another app password? I used Cox mail password on my iPhone but I get this:

"No password provided for 'Cox.' Please go to Mail Account Settings and enter a password."

tkaz
        New Contributor II

on a iPhone (at least one running iOS 17.4.1) is pretty straight-forward...

0. If you have not "transitioned" your COX email first (meaning your have to log into Yahoo with that COX account *username@cox.net) and the OLD COX password and then change to a new Yahoo! password, the you have to start here.  You may also have to set up certain account verifications and such.  You can do this step using ANY device (iPhone, laptop, iPad)
        1. Back on the iPhone; go to "Settings" > "Mail" > "Accounts" > "Add Account"
        2. Select " Yahoo!"
        3. Sign Into Yahoo! using your NORMAL Cox.net email (which has to be already transitioned to Yahoo!) and NORMAL, NEW Yahoo! password.
        4. Select which iPhone apps to use with Yahoo (Mail/Contacts/Calendar/Reminders/Notes)

the iPhone email should setup properly from there after verification.

I have already transitioned all my accounts an added them to the iPhone and iPAD and didn't take detailed notes.  apologies.

LisaH

Hi Betty_heenan. If you are using your cox.net email account on a 3rd party email program or mobile device and your incoming server is set to IMAP, you can remove the account from the device or email program and add it back, which will create the correct server settings for both incoming and outgoing server settings. This link, https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/SLN36637.html should help as well. Thanks, Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator