Forum Discussion

cezarbalaita
New Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

Ridiculously low download speed (8 MBS) in the evening for Internet Gigablast since last week

I've signed up for Gigablast a few months back and the service was fine until last week.

Every day since then, I get ridiculously low download speeds of 5-10MBS in the evening (after 6 PM) with the D/L speed picking up gradually after 11PM. 

Mornings or during the day, the speed is as expected (around 100MBS)

All my tests were done with a couple of laptops wired directly into the modem (Arris Surfboard SB8200), no router was involved. I'm pretty sure that the modem is not the problem otherwise I'd have the same experience during the day.

What could cause this?

I live in a condo and I think that the wiring is split between the 4 adjacent apartments.

Could it be that a neighbor (or more) has recently signed up for the Gigablast and is literally drying up the bandwidth before it gets to my place???

• Hello everyone!

I wanted to reach back out to let you know a faulty piece of equipment was identified and replaced. The speed issues affecting a small area in Santa Barbara should be resolved, but if you experience any speed issues please let us know via email to cox.help@cox.com. Please include your full name, complete street address and a speed test completed at www.speedtest.net using a hard-wired PC connected directly to your modem and with all background software closed.

-ColleenD
    Cox Support Forums Moderator

9 Replies

mute
    New Contributor II

I don't have gigablast I have 200 mbps package but I'm in the exact same boat.  Right now average down speed using multiple test sites is 1-2 mbps.  Tomorrow morning through the afternoon I'll be 100-200 down.

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      @Mute, our Network Operations Team is currently investigating this issue. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    bingoldsby
    New Contributor

I'm in a condo but have my own drop and am having the same issues. Gigablast internet and currently getting 2.6Mbps down and 37 up. Happens every day late afternoon until around midnight. I think the node here is just saturated. You aren't in Santa Barbara by any chance are you?

cetused
      New Contributor

Santa Barbara resident here as well. I'm on the ultimate plan but am also getting the same speeds as you with significant packet loss.

scornish
        New Contributor

I'm in the santa barbara area with gigablast, currently pulling 1-2 mbps since yesterday :(

• Hi Cezarbalaita. We would need to investigate to see what is happening. Please send an email to cox.help@cox.com and include this link along with your complete and name on the account. Thanks, Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hey all, if this issue persists, please reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com. These cases are being monitored. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator