Forum Discussion

sbruno4
New Contributor
31 days ago

Cox.net to Yahoo

For this conversion to Yahoo do we who have the cox. net email need to create an account with Yahoo prior or wait, or is this even needed?

18 Replies

jwallace40
      New Contributor

What are the new OUTLOOK SERVER settings after this transition?  

Thank you! 

cwb3106
        New Contributor

Incoming IMAP: imap.mail.yahoo.com

Incoming POP: pop.mail.yahoo.com

Outgoing: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Details: https://www.cox.com/residential/support/access-and-log-in-to-yahoo-mail-after-transition.html

Ken2
    New Contributor II

My concern is that I already have an existing Yahoo account. When the transition happens should I just log out of Yahoo and log back in with my Cox email address and password?

ChrisJ2

Hi, Ken. If you are logging in at the website, you would just log out and log back in using your cox.net credentials. 

Ken2
        New Contributor II

Thanks ChrisJ2. One more question. Once I'm migrated over to Yahoo can I just go to my Outlook 365 and just change the IMAP and SMTP settings to my Cox.net account to Yahoo's setting (https://help.yahoo.com/kb/devices-sln3697.html)?

Would I need to generate an app password?

If there's more to it can you explain the steps?

cwb3106
    New Contributor

FWIW, I also use Outlook and went through the transition recently. I needed to do the following and suspect you will also:

• generate an "app password"
    • use that password in the Outlook settings in addition to changing the server names
      Ken2
      New Contributor II

Thanks cwb3106, Were you able to just use the "app password" and change the server names to your existing cox.net account or did you have to create a new one with the Yahoo template?

cwb3106
        New Contributor

I re-used my existing Outlook accounts for Cox email (I had two). FWIW, they were set up for POP, but I think IMAP should work the same.

OzzieMike
    New Contributor II

It's one thing for Cox to decide it no longer want to support email service for its customers, and to decide to force migrate all its email customers to Yahoo.  OK...I get it...it's a cost-cutting measure (that probably gets an exec or two a nice bonus).

But to then only provide "bare bones" instructions for its customers to successfully implement this migration is beyond horrible. When most of us created our cox.net email accounts many years ago, there were very detailed instructions on how to accomplish this in Outlook, Windows Mail, Apple Mail...and any differences between Mac and PC platforms.

Now...it's pretty much the "bare bones" instructions (no step by step guides), followed by the notice that once Cox has migrated an email account to Yahoo, Cox no longer provides any support.  If Cox truly cared, they'd see that not only do THEY not offer the step by step guides many of us need, but Yahoo DOESN'T EITHER. 

As this process has been going on for several weeks, it's apparent that Cox has no intention of providing any more help for its customers than it already has. IMHO, years from now this will be a case study in college of what NOT to do if a company wants to be known for excellent customer support.

LisaH

Hi OzzieMike. The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable, Telephone and High-Speed Internet services with other customers. If we can be of any help, please reach out to us on Twitter at CoxHelp via DM, visit us on Facebook via private message, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator

programa
    New Contributor

HAS anyone been able to POP a new yahoo cox.net email?

There is no Free forwarding anymore $5 a month for YAHOO and POP is not working

cwb3106
    New Contributor

As I posted earlier in this thread, I successfully transferred two accounts, both using POP. I did need an "App Password".

• Has anyone had success in using Gmail as the email client? I've been trying but it's not working. When I tell the IMAP and POP setup procedures in Gmail that the email is xxxxx@cox.net. The Gmail client then try to go out to Cox and not to Yahoo. When I manually set the URL to Pop.mail.Yahoo.com,  it just says that there is a problem connecting to Yahoo. Very frustrating. This should have been tested. The link to the POP/IMAP issue page assumes that your email is a Yahoo.com so it's useless.