Forum Discussion

Rich_M
New Contributor
7 years ago

Relaying not allowed

Same sort of problem with sending emails using Outlook 2007 and Windows 10.  I get   " 550 5.1.1 relaying not allowed", when sending emails to AOL accounts.  I've read all the 'helpful' hints from Cox and others, and tried them.  They don't help.

Yesterday, I rebooted by PC and resent an email to an AOL account.  It showed in my SENT folder, but did it really send it.??

So, Cox Help, what is going on.  If it worked ok last week and I changed nothing, it should work this week.  What did Cox change,

8 Replies

• Hi Rich,

It sounds like you are able to send mail to one AOL recipient at a time. Are you getting the "550 5.1.1 relay" error when trying to send an email to multiple recipients? Try sending a test email to one AOL recipient and yourself. Add your email address to the To, CC, or BC field of a test email. Do you get an error, or does the email appear in your Inbox successfully?

rcgldr
    New Contributor

What's changed is Cox no longer allows "relaying". Prior to the recent change, if you used a mail server other than a cox server, for example myserver.net, with Outlook or other email program, you had to have the account settings for receiving email to something like mail.myserver.net or pop.myserver.net to read those emails, but you could use smtp.west.cox.net  (or the east coast version) for the "outgoing" (sending) server, which is "relaying". Cox mail server was sending the email as if it was sent from "myserver.net". 

With the recent change, if your'e using a mail server other than a cox server, you have to go into the account settings and change the outgoing server to something like "smtp.myserver.net", along with other settings such as outgoing server requires login - using same name and password as incoming server, and also set the port addresses as needed for sending email via "smtp.myserver.net" (you'll have to get the port addresses as specified by "myserver.net").

It would have helped if the error message was "relaying no longer allowed", instead of "relaying not allowed", since a typical user would have no clue this was due to a change at Cox for something that was previously allowed, but is no longer allowed. With the current error message "relaying not allowed", a typical user would have no clue the error was due to a change in the way Cox handles outgoing emails for non-Cox email servers, misleading the user into thinking the problem is due to some other unknown issue.

okvacello
    New Contributor

So what is Cox's "fix" to this issue? I have changed everything that has been suggested, but to no avail.

Rich_M
    New Contributor

I sent a msg to an aol address and to me.   Mine came thru, aol got " 550 5.1.1 <tyrolnick@aol.com> relaying not allowed".

I sent same msg to aol address only.  Got "550 5.1.1 <tyrolnick@aol.com> relaying not allowed"

rcgldr
    New Contributor

You need to change the outgoing server so that it matches the sever name in the "from". For example, you will need to change the setting for account "myname@myserver.net", so that the outgoing server is "smtp.myserver.net", (before you could use smtp.west.cox.net or other server, but this is no longer allowed). You'll need to set a login for the outgoing server or set it to be same as incoming server, and set the port addresses according to "myserver.net" requirements.

• I did a work-around, and I think it is OK. I did not have a cox email account previously. I set one up and had it get my messages from my email "earthlink.net". My messages were successfully imported into cox. Then in outlook, I set it up so that it would get my messages from my cox account. As best I can tell, I can now send and receive. I should note that I had to set up a second account in outlook that ends with "@cox.net". Unfortunately, I still have my old account in outlook that I was using to get my email directly from earthlink. Although, I could copy all of my old folders from the old account into my new one. But I still have the old account hanging around. I cannot figure out how to get rid of it. I think this is what I did to make it work: email address: *****@cox.net Manually set up POP3 or IMAP- and chose IMAP Incoming mail: mail.cox.net Outgoing: smtp.cox.net Username: same as **** Password: cox password MORE SETTINGS: Outgoing Server: My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication Use same settings as my incoming Advanced: Incoming server (IMAP):993 Use SSL Outgoing server(SMTP): 587 TLS I hope this helps someone. I have spent a week and a half cursing cox and trying any possible alternative.
    MBassman
    New Contributor

Related question: I use many different email addresses in Outlook 2013. I've been able to correct the new relay problem for actual email accounts from non-Cox addresses by sending through the servers for those accounts, but I'm having trouble with a couple of forwarding addresses. For example, one organization has an address for me (let's call it me@place.org) that forwards to one of my other addresses. When doing business for that org, I receive email at that address; until recently I had been able to send email from that address using Outlook 2013.

I've been getting a combination of the usual relay error message and also "The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:" sometimes with no recipients in the list.

Is it possible to continue to use that email address in the from field while sending from my home computer and my Cox ISP?

• @MBassman,

Sadly, we do not have a way to support third party email accounts and software. I would check with the email provider and see if there was a change in settings or other options. 

Thanks,

Allan - Cox Support Forums Moderator.