Forum Discussion

Arobadope
New Contributor II
10 months ago
Solved

Cox Not Allowing 3rd Modem to Connect?

Hello,

I recently just started with Cox and for some reason my modem has not been able to connect to their service. At first I was using a Netgear CM700 that would signal having the upstream and downstream just fine but would be denied connection to the internet. A tech came out and we figured maybe something went wrong with my modem since the Cox Panoramic Gateway worked just fine. He recommended getting an Arris, so I did. I got the Arris SB6190, fresh from the box and the same exact issue occurred again. I have talked with support and they said everything is activated and it should be working, yet when I go onto my account it still lists the Panoramic Gateway as my modem device and I cannot add another modem to my account.

There is another tech coming to try to figure it out, but largely I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem with Cox or is this some new scummy practice by them to force people into renting their modems? Does anyone have any advice in getting the modem to work? I've tried power cycle, switching coax cables, etc. Nothing has worked as again all I get are two solid blue lights for the upstream and downstream and a solid white light for the internet.

• That means the modem isn't provisioned. I bet the gateway is still activated. Send a email to cox.help@cox.com with your account info and a link to this post asking them to provision your SB6190 for data. This is similar to this thread where the user had 2 devices on their account.

• Maybe they need to do a "full reprovision" where I think they take the modem off the account then add it back on. Either way, if you are getting a 172.x.x.x IP you are locked in the self registration system walled garden. This gives you a connection to Cox's network, but not the internet in general. That's why all the lights look normal on the modem and router.

58 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Can you post the modem's signal levels from 192.168.100.1? I want to see if the DOCSIS network modifier is enabled. See here for more info.  Do you get a WAN IP to your router? Last, what model router do you have?

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Interesting. Looks like your modem is online and passing all checks. What model router do you have? SB6190 is your stand alone modem. I assume you are using something for multiple computers and Wi-Fi? My guess is this is some kind of provisioning issue.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Where did the Cox Panoramic Gateway come from?  Did the tech just temporarily connect it...it worked...and left your house with it?  While in your account, did you try to Reset the currently-connected modem?

Arobadope
      New Contributor II

No, the tech left the Panoramic with me. Yes, I have tried resetting multiple times, just keeps coming back with an error.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Is the Panoramic connected?  Where is your Arris?

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

I had a a thought. If Cox comes back with that the SB6190 is provisioned then maybe the problem is they have BOTH devices provisioned. With only one data service occurrence on the account, only the first device provisioned on the account will work. If so, maybe part of the fix is to return the gateway and hope that the Cox store employee can fix the issue.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

System won't allow multiple occurrences unless they are paying for them. You can have 2 modems provisioned for data, IF, you are paying for 2 instances of internet service. I ran into that quite often, but if they are ONLY paying for 1 instance of Internet service, the system will not allow  more than the single D1 occurrence. 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

::edit:: I see what your saying. You mean the system won't even allow for a D2 occurrence unless there is data service already assigned to D2?

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

To re-provision, Cox will remove Internet service from your account.  It'd be like if I called Cox to cancel my Internet service.  No Internet equipment would then be provisioned on my account.  All gone Internet.

After the service is removed, Cox will re-add the occurrence (D (Data)) for Internet service and whatever modem is connected, it will be configured for your service.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

What do you think was the reason Cox said the SB6190 was already provisioned? Rep. error?