Forum Discussion

KMW
New Contributor
2 years ago

Panoramic WiFi

Just installed in February.  Worse internet than the old Arris Modem provided by Cox with an Orbi router and Satellite.  I am trying to install an Extender Netgear EX6100 (which is AC750 technology) to hopefully get internet to parts of the house that had just fine internet with the old system - without any luck.  

Questions:  Since I have had this extender for quite a while, where do I search to find out if it is compatible with the Panoramic Wifi Router?

Where is the WPS?  There is no button with that symbol on it.

And while I am at it, how do I find the specs for the new router.  A post indicated that it could be found within the Cox Wifi app under advanced.  I am not that technical and much of what is there doesn't mean anything to me.  I'd just like to know the manufacturer and the wifi # - 5 or 6 if that is a valid question.

Might be a really obvious question but is Gateway being used in the generic form or was it manufactured by Gateway?

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor
    Where is the WPS?

It's the button on the back above the telephone ports. See post here for picture.

And while I am at it, how do I find the specs for the new router

Manufacture is Technicolor assuming you have the latest Wifi 6E model. The model number should be printed on the same sticker as the network name and password.

Might be a really obvious question but is Gateway being used in the generic form or was it manufactured by Gateway?

Generic. A gateway is a modem router combo unit, usually has phone too.

KMW
      New Contributor

OMG Thank you for the picture!   I saw that but didn't know what it was for and not likely to mess with it.  That symbol is not consistent with every other place I saw WPS shown.  No reference to the name Technicolor anywhere!  Again thanks, I think the path ahead is now clear!

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

BTW, why did you get the gateway? I thought they sell modems now for 179$ which is the SB8200. If you have your own router then I suggest replacing the gateway with a modem or a phone modem(eMTA) if you have phone service.

KMW
      New Contributor

Verrrry long story.   Cox was giving me very poor customer service related to Cable boxes and I was offered a "free" Panoramic Wifi Router.  Mind you I never complained about the internet access I had before.  My bad for just not saying No Thank You and keeping what I had.  The real lightbulb just turned on when I got my cellphone bill.  No consistent internet throughout the house so my phone was using cel service nonstop!

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

I think Cox pushes the gateway so much because they profit from collecting user data. I would use my own modem and router at all costs.