New Contributor II
9 months ago

Packet loss making games unplayable

Ping Plotter Blizzard World Of Warcraft East Coast Server IP

Ping Plotter Google.com

Ping Plotter 4.2.2.2

Ping Plotter Open DNS IP

Ping Plotter www.Pingplotter.com

I have had a technician come to my house and using his tool says he gets all green lights from my drop out. I have had Blizzard assure me their servers are fine but after taking a look at this ping plotter you can clearly see intermittent packet loss. So at the time the tech tested it was likely fine. Ping Plotter shows results over a ten min test and the random drops are more apparent. This is gigabit speed that is sorta new to my area and I feel like it costs me a lot to have, I am very happy with it. Until I want to game online or stay connected to something. I get enough packet loss/jitter to cause a disconnect. Sometimes its short enough that it corrects in game and I just get a rubberband like effect. sometimes its enough to cause the game to kick me. sometimes it just freezes the game and while i am disconnected from their server i can still walk around but not actually do anything in game. interact with characters, cast spells, etc. I would really love some help with this problem! I have tried so many things ruling things out to come to this point. Even as I type this I keep getting notifications at the top right of this website telling my I have 'successfully reconnected'. I need someone to take a look at these links and help to fix this Anyone else that looks will not be able to see these issues with they way they are testing it. I am not sure what else to do but reach out to the forums as home techs and tech support phone calls don't see this problem and assure me everything is fine. but its not fine. not at all. every web site i try to ping for some time shows the same results. 0 issues from my computer to my router the problem begins on the 1st hop after my router. its not consistent this is why the basic level support technician doesn't see it. I will provide any other info I need. I just want to solve this. so far I have paid for a few months of IMO expensive internet and have been unable to use it for the reason i got it. GAMING. 

24 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Can you tell us something about your network? What model modem and router? If stand alone modem, can you post the signal levels from 192.168.100.1? 

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

The last test shows packet loss on the first hop. Are you testing from a wired connection?

Psilo
      New Contributor II

ah i see what you mean on that first hop. not sure what thats about. 

iGrok
    New Contributor

I am having the same problems as Psilo. I disconnected my Cox modem/router and connected my computer to my T-Mobile Hot Spot via USB. I haven't had a single drop for two days. This is definitely an issue that Cox needs to fix or I will be switching to T-Mobile Home Internet. It may not be as fast but at least it works.