Forum Discussion

entxoj
New Contributor
4 years ago

Horrible Upload Speeds

Since mid to late last week, our neighborhoods upload speed is in the toilet. This coming from Cox Speed Test from myself and 2 neighbors. While download speeds are running from 125-150 during peak usage times, upload speeds are ranging from 0.3 - 2. Tech support over the phone says everything appears OK from their end. Neighbor went as far as upgrading his service to something higher than the 150/10 plan with no improvement on the upload speed. He had someone from Cox come out to look and said everything checks out at the house. Said its a usage loading issue. My biggest question is, if nothing is wrong, and if it is a loading issue, how do we get the circuit improved to allow more load but still maintain the cap per household? Open the floodgates on that switch a bit to help us out. Obviously this message is more of a rant but my calls and chats with Cox seem to be fruitless. 

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChesapeakeChris
    New Contributor III

They are fruitless.

Consult the page below for published speeds. Remember, all their plans are "up to" plans, not guaranteed speed plans (like with fiber optic). At the 150 Mbps level they only offer "up to" 10 Mbps up. I have the 940 Mbps plan and we only get up to 35 Mbps (with 10 Mbps minimum).

https://www.cox.com/aboutus/policies/speeds-and-data-plans.html

There are ways of getting more out of your service, if you know how...

SanPedroVideoEd
      New Contributor

how can i get better upload speeds. mine are around 1mb upload., and i pay for 35

ChesapeakeChris
        New Contributor III

Use an ethernet cable between your modem/router and your device. If your device only has a USB, then get an ethernet to USB adapter.

Using ethernet cable will give you much, much better speeds that you are paying for.

WiFi speeds are usually overhyped and drop off very quickly the further you get from your modem/router. 

entxoj
      New Contributor

I asked tech support what the CIR was....they said they do not promise any minimum speed. oof.