Forum Discussion

lafishmonger
New Contributor
5 months ago

data caps?

why does cox still have data caps?   it such an old fashion business model? when i lived in california i had no data caps with spectrum or frontier. move to kansas and i am paying more for internet with a data cap. for the price we are paying there should be no data caps anymore. that went away with cell phone plans with a limited amount of minutes. i tried to ask a live agent but he couldn't give me a straight answer. he told me well for more money we can give you more data. Well I am glad Ideatek is coming to my town soon and I will have an alternate choice and cox will no longer have the monopoly in our town. 

3 Replies

• lafishmonger, 

I get where you're coming from. As Internet needs and usage increase, Cox continues to invest in our network to keep up with demand. We want to keep service affordable for the wide group of customers whose current plans meet their needs. 
    We offer plans and tools to help everyone manage their data usage effectively, including a Data Usage Meter to help customers monitor their daily, monthly, and historical data usage. The meter is updated daily with usage from the prior day. It is available in My Account and the Cox mobile app. Cox attempts to notify customers via Cox browser alert, email, or text message when they reach certain thresholds in their data plan. 
    For those customers who want more data than the 1.25 TB included in most internet packages, we offer additional plans.
    I recommend https://www.cox.com/residential/support/understanding-data-usage.html for more info on data usage. If you need additional assistance specific to your account please email cox.help@cox.com with your full name and complete street address with the details of your concerns. Please also include a link to your thread. 

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

No data caps here where I live in RI because of FIOS. Basically if there is a fiber competitor, they don't enforce the cap so maybe soon they will get rid of it in your area?

As for Ideatek, seems they use CGNAT so port forwarding for games or cameras won't be possible. Pick your poison.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

1.25tb is a LOT of data. your average high def movie is less that 6gb, so you could watch over 200 of them in a month, and still not use 1.25tb. 

BTW you should research Ideatek before signing up.