Forum Discussion

J__Peter
New Contributor
2 months ago
Solved

Cox to Yahoo to google

Hello

How do I add my cox/yahoo account to Gmail where my cox account was before.  i have tried adding an account and the server error comes up.  I have tried many things but I can't add new Yahoo cox.net account to gmail.

• First thing is that we have to wait until cox tells us that our specific email account is ready for the move to the yahoo servers. Doing this early will probably result in some sort of error. Second, from what I read, you will first have to setup the transition on a yahoo platform directly such as a yahoo mobile app or via a web browser. Once that is done, then you should try and add the account to your Gmail app with the specific imap server settings that yahoo provides. 

15 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Mike5381
    New Contributor II

First thing is that we have to wait until cox tells us that our specific email account is ready for the move to the yahoo servers. Doing this early will probably result in some sort of error. Second, from what I read, you will first have to setup the transition on a yahoo platform directly such as a yahoo mobile app or via a web browser. Once that is done, then you should try and add the account to your Gmail app with the specific imap server settings that yahoo provides. 

mburtnette
      New Contributor

Yeah, I can't get it to work.. someone lay out the specifics please. Cox to yahoo to gmail.

kkeat
      New Contributor

The "solution" marked above does not address the issue at hand.  While we will still be using the cox.net domain name as part of our email address, gmail does not recognize that an email with a cox.net domain name is actually a yahoo email address.  Does anyone know an answer to the OP's question as I have the exact same question as may email has been transferred to Yahoo already?

mcbea
        New Contributor

I am so frustrated with this transition to Yahoo mail that I am on the verge of dropping Cox as my internet provider. There has been a lack of information available to make the mail transition to various platforms, Outlook, Gmail, etc. Yahoo wants everyone to use the Yahoo app so they can bombard us with ads. I pay Cox for a mail service, now I am paying the same price for no mail service and a lot of headaches.

KB91
    New Contributor

I have the same problem.  I would like to add my cox mail account to my Gmail account the way I had it before and I cann't get it to work.  This is on my Windows 10 desktop and laptop computers, using chrome as a browser. I get an error message that the server has timed out or that it doesn't recognize the account.

I am able to add the account through the GMAIL app on my phone and tablet, both Android.

kkeat
      New Contributor

I was able to get the email account added to the Gmail client, but I had to really experiment with different approaches to do so.  At first, I was unable to get Yahoo to verify the Gmail client as a legitimate app until I saw this post related to setting up Outlook and the discussion about generating a password in Yahoo to recognize the Gmail app.  I followed these cryptic instructions and was able to get it setup, but gmail doesn't like it very much as I am getting all kinds of error emails entitled "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)".  Here are the instructions I was referring to and good luck getting it working correctly.  https://www.ubackup.com/articles/yahoo-mail-not-working-with-outlook365.html#:~:text=Why%20is%20Yahoo%20mail%20not,an%20app%20password%20for%20Outlook

tdarby
      New Contributor

It’s total BS. WHEN I try to add wife’s cox account to yahoo on my iPad , all I get is a loop asking me to sign in. What good is it if you can’t have 2 accounts on one device? I’m sure it works for yahoo.com, but not for cox.net. This is unacceptable. They even have cash upgrades, but obviously we got the dirt cheap version. 

Becky

Hi Tdarby, I'd be frustrated if I felt like I was going in circles, too. I'm sorry this has been such a frustrating process! Is your wife able to access her Cox.net email when she logs into http://mail.yahoo.com/? Since accounts are being transitioned to Yahoo slowly, it's possible that your email was moved to Yahoo but your wife's email has not. If she can access her email by logging into http://mail.yahoo.com/, then disregard my question. If she can't access her email through the Yahoo website, have her try logging into myemail.cox.net. How are you trying to set up her mail on your iPad--using the Mail App or another app like Outlook? We've got some real experts in our Community, and I'm sure we can help you figure this out.

WM
    New Contributor II

How is this issue solved? I also use gmail and before this transition used POP to pull my cox.net email into my gmail.  My account has been transferred.  I logged into Yahoo's webmail and see current email there. 

The POP settings for Yahoo are not working.  here are the settings and error message.

This stuff is not rocket science.  This is most likely poor planning and no testing.

PS. I knew I should have gotten away from cox.net email a loooonnng time ago

smith132
    New Contributor

Unfortunately, it appears that gmail is unable to recognize yahoo as the new email server for cox emails and now my emails no longer get imported into the gmail account. This is in addition to not being able to get emails in the Windows 10 Mail app. either. While all of my prior emails sucessfully transitioned to Yahoo web mail, having to go to different sites just to read them is time consuming not to mention that cox internet constantly goes down. If anyone has been able to import mails to gmail, I would appreciate the help.

LaToyaW

Hello.

My sincere apologies for the continued issue with the email. Below, I have provided the Yahoo support number for help with this issue, and for your inconsistent internet issue, please email your full name and complete address to Cox.helpCox.com .

Yahoo Support at 1-866-562-7250