Forum Discussion

Rich170
New Contributor II
3 months ago

Cox email transition - has anyone completed the transition to Yahoo

Has anyone completed the email transition to Yahoo? It would be appreciated if any Cox customer would answer this question. 

I have been trying to get some information about when; and all I receive from Cox is we don’t know. In my opinion this response is unbelievable  - a significant customer service change and the company’s help response team can’t provide an answer is unbelievable - implies a lack of transparency or worst.  

So that’s why I am calling out to any Cox customer and provide some feedback about the “actual” transition. I and many of us have received the preliminary emails about the future.

Has anyone's completed the transition?

67 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • I am reposting this to get it upfront in the answers:

As many of us are going through a transition to Yahoo as our email provider I want to offer some tips on what is needed to make Yahoo email work with the native Mail app on Mac. I spent several hours on this and found that very few Yahoo CSR's know anything at all about the Apple OS. So in the interest of saving others from that frustration, here is what I learned.

First a caveat--the transition for iphone is straightforward and Yahoo has tips as does Cox on their web site about the transition for iOS. Just add a new email account in your email settings as you normally would selecting the type as Yahoo. Enter your Cox email address and the Yahoo password you created to access your Yahoo/Cox webmail. It should work out of the box 

These instructions are exclusively for Mail on the Mac OS.

1. Do not, and I mean this strenuously, do not simply add a new account by selecting Yahoo as the email type. Instead, open System Preferences—(it is under the menu labeled MAIL and select the plus sign at the bottom of the list of email accounts to add a new account. That will bring up a dialog box showing types of email accounts.  Chose the generic Other Mail Account
    2. When presented with the dialog box, enter your Cox email address but do not enter the Yahoo password you created.  Instead, sign into your Yahoo webmail account through your browser and choose account info. You will be prompted to sign in again and when you have done so you’ll be taken to a new page. The third item from the left in the subhead says SECURITY.  Select that page.  Halfway down that page on the right hand side you will see an option to “Generate and Manage app passwords”.  Select that option and you will be taken to yet another page  and prompted to give your app a name—type in Mail and then select the button below to generate password.
    3. Copy the password.  That is what you want to enter in the Mail for mac dialog box.
    4. When you have entered the account and password and select save you may get lucky and the system will begin repopulating you email or more likely it will tell you that it cannot verify the name and/or password—that is because it is still missing some information.
    5. Close the Mail Preferences dialog and then open it again. Select the new email account you just created from the list on the right. The subhead should display an item labelled Server Settings—that’s is where the missing information needs to be added. 
    6. These are the settings you need to enter:
    7. Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server:  imap.mail.yahoo.com
      Port - 993
      Requires SSL - Yes
      Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
      Port - 465 
      Requires SSL - Yes
      Requires authentication - Yes
      Your login info
      Email address - Your full cox email address (yourname@cox.net)
      Password - The  App Password you generated in both incoming and outgoing
      Requires authentication - Yes
    8. Save it and you should be good to go. Good idea to send and receive a test email to another account to be sure everything is working as it should.
    9. Some have found that the incoming email works at this point but outgoing does not.  If that occurs change the outgoing server to the following: apple.smtp.mail.yahoo.com and save —your outgoing email should now work as well. 
    rathrbfishn
    New Contributor

I followed the online instruction for Yahoo but it did not migrate ANY of my email data over from Cox.  How do I get it to migrate over?  

Lyndonb95
      Contributor

Are you able to send and receive email to your Cox account on Mac?  If so and you haven't seen your email yet some users have reported that Cox must first migrate that email to Yahoo who will in turn migrate it to your account--and it could take several hours or even days if that is the case.   Check you Yahoo webmail--if the mail you are looking for is there than your setup on Mac is incorrect. If it doesn't show up in webmail it has not yet been migrated. 

rathrbfishn
        New Contributor

I can still send and receive on Cox account using Chome and on my phone.  A month or so ago, when I signed in, message popped up to click link to Yahoo to migrate over.  I did but nothing happened.  I have 3 other accounts that had the same message and the migrated over.

Kstakis
    New Contributor II

I have wasted the day trying to get email to work. I have given up after sitting on hold till my patience has run out. This is terrible.

PadresFan
    New Contributor

I have a separate email account outside of Cox, but I still use the Cox email address for companies that are more prone to selling my info, etc.

One good thing is that if you used your "@cox.net" address as a username for various accounts, you can still change the correspondence email address (usually)  on those accounts to something else (if you want to). Trying to change the username itself can be a major issue.

I am a bit concerned about inbox security with Yahoo.

• This is a fiasco. I've been on hold 3 times today to get help for a min. of 1 hour each.  I've been cut off 2 times. The first gal was able to help me set up my apple mail - but I've not been able to do the same with my apple mail on my phone and ipad. 

birdlegs
    New Contributor

I received my notice today and it is a mess. I've tried at least 8 times but can not get pass the prove I'm not a robot. Called Yahoo for help each time and never was able to speak to a tech. Once I waited for 45mins.  Recording mentions to try calling early in the morning or late at night. Called at 10pm same thing. 30 minutes no contact. I've tried cox chat but of course it's not their problem so they couldn't help me. Kept telling me to follow the direction in the notice.....I kept telling them I did!! I'm using desktop with windows 10 and Firefox browser also tried Chrome. Same problem

patouchet
    New Contributor II

Colleen, repeated tries to the "www.cox.com/emailmove" only results in a log-in page at Cox w/ an address of 'https://crashline.ru/co20/' can my internet security software be responsible?

DustinP

patouchet,
      Is the issue happening on multiple devices when you try to sign into myemail.cox.net with the email account?

tribeiro3
    New Contributor

I'm with you. I have 2 email addresses that can't get email's and the customer service on bot ends is terrible