Forum Discussion

LED_Spirals
New Contributor
8 months ago

Confused by "Other" category in my data usage

I've been getting super close to my data cap the last few months, and I've noticed that a category simply labeled "Other" is accounting for almost half of my total  data usage. This month it's currently at 44% of my usage, and we only have two days left in the cycle with 1127gb used. When I read the description for this category it says "Activites that makde up a relatively small proportion of your overall usage. This also includes unrecognized traffic or activity that could not be categorized." If my math isn't wrong, that's 495.8gb of data in a category that I can't keep account of, so I don't really know what to do. I read that VPS can mess with data tracking, but my family doesn't use any. Can someone please help me understand? 

15 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • I would love to know more about this category as well. Yesterday this accounted for 77% of our data usage. I was the only one home and I even reset our Wi-Fi name and password just in case someone else's tapping in. So I don't get it either and would love to have more information about this category.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Are you using a Cox WiFi modem? If so, open the Panoramic App on your cell phone or tablet and it will show you how much data each device is using. OTHER could be a category that is used to show bit torrent traffic. Use of certain programs to watch movies and tv shows, 

Streamio

Rox Player

Showbox

Kodi

Popcorn time

and MANY others. 

jimandwifey
      New Contributor

Yes, we are using the app to monitor data use and which devices are connected.  Consistently, the "other" category is the largest use by far, so we're trying to figure out what exactly is adding up there.  Could our security system and cameras be under that category?

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

It's possible, since the security system isn't using web sites for browsing and such, then it may be included in the other category. 

Maryd1
    New Contributor

Having the exact same issue with OTHER category for the last 2 months. We are a 2 person household and have never come near using all our data before. Now 43% is the being used by OTHER?????. I’ve been told there is no way of knowing by a Cox rep and I should pay for more data! Any answers from the back room yet.

jimandwifey
      New Contributor

Nope.  And the OTHER category continues to be our biggest use of data as well, so it’s very frustrating.,  

ChrisJ2

Hi, there. I understand your frustration. It seems that the data usage category "other" may be relabeled in the new year. It is important to note that you can change the names of the devices listed in your Panoramic Wifi app and keep track of them per-device. This may help bring some insight. I hope that is helpful. 

caputo413
    New Contributor

Having same issue with going OVER our data plan with OTHER usage being the majority of what I'm using.  This has only been an issue over the past couple months - so something had to have changed.  I see in the Panoramic Wifi app where it shows the devices logged in, but where does it show the usage of each one?  

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

I think I also figured out one of the things in the OTHER category. If you use a VPN, it will be counted in OTHER category. In testing, when I turned on my VPN in my Opera Browser, the "OTHER" category reflected the usage, and the web browsing category ddidn't go up for the days I used the VPN browser only. 

Steve-shields
      New Contributor II

Can someone please tell me where on the app I find these usage categories? I have looked all over and for some reason, I cannot find it. I can see all my devices and if they’re connected to WiFi, but I don’t see data usage categories. 

Maryd1
        New Contributor

The data usage shows in the “ my account”  icon at the bottom of the home page on the Cox app.

caputo413
      New Contributor

That makes sense. 2 of us work from home & use VPNs. I wonder if this is something new though - I’ve never had the problem of going over my data.