Forum Discussion

ctfair
New Contributor
2 years ago

What is “Network Management and Testing” data usage category?

What is the data usage category “Network Management and Testing?” Whatever it is has accounted for 62% of my data usage this billing cycle. I run an internet signal/speed test on my network on occasion, which takes all of about 30 seconds, but there’s nothing running continuously to my knowledge. What is this?

15 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

How many days is your billing cycle accounting for? Does it say how much data in total that used?

ctfair
      New Contributor

Our usage is currently at 75% of our total data limit. There are 3 days left in the billing cycle.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

OK, so by my math that is 595GB worth of "Network Management and Testing". Yea, something is up.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

What modem router combo are you using? If you are using a PANO modem, the Pano app will show you specifically what devices are connected, and what data they are using. Also, there are other routers out there that can do the same, but their number won't be accurate is they don't measure ALL data, only specific types of data. 

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor
      but their number won't be accurate is they don't measure ALL data, only specific types of data. 

What do you mean by that? I have a Asus router and it is accurate.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

Some routers have automatic speed tests they run periodically, but the router doesn't add that to the usage figures, and running speed tests let's say on a daily basis, can mean GIGS of data used, but not accounted for. Some people have their routers set to run them hourly, I cann't even begin to tell you how much data that uses! 

Some routers are setup to perform DNS, and while they measure network traffic from each device, dns lookup information isn't counted because the router itself is doing the lookups. There are also other types of data  that some routers don't monitor properly, such as crc or checksum data. 

ctfair
      New Contributor

I am currently using an Arris modem, and an Asus router. I am going to attempt to trace the data activity to see specifically what it might be.

Alissa13
    New Contributor II

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I'm having the exact same issue and all support says is that I should reset my password because someone must be stealing our wifi. 

Jjpella
      New Contributor

Same, what ended up being the resolution? I called Cox after experiencing the same network management data category and Cox had me reset my router name and wifi password. They also just thought it was someone stealing our wifi but the app didn’t show any unrecognized devices.