Forum Discussion

KimB
New Contributor
10 months ago

Can't Activate McAfee Security Suite Plus

Cox has the absolute worst technical support. I've contacted at least 8 tech people and no one can resolve this issue. I deactivated my McAfee Security Suite by mistake. The activate button appears, but when I click it, I get this error: We're sorry, we cannot activate your Cox Security Suite now. Please give it another try. Need help? Contact Customer Care or Live Chat.

Now I'm getting a messages indicating that my computers are not protected and am prompted to purchase a McAfee subscription. NO, I DON'T HAVE A TRIAL VERSION OF MCAFEE INSTALLED ON ANY OF OUR LAPTOPS. The Cox McAfee Security Suite Plus has been install on these machines for many years. All trial software was uninstalled before the Cox security suite was installed.

I spent over an hour on the phone with one tech, to walk through steps that I pretty much knew was not the problem. She had me to reboot the modem, use a different browser, use a different computer, etc. If it's not in the manual, they are at a lost. No thinking going on there.

I just need my McAfee subscription reactivated so that I can remove old computers and install onto a new one. That's it. It should be a very simple task, but absolutely none of your tech people can get this done. It's totally pathetic.

4 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Have you considered another free anti-virus like Avast? MacAfee is pretty bad IMO.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

This reads like you have two issues.  You mistakenly deactivated McAfee on one computer and the others have "expired."

From my experience, the expired issue has occurred but has always resolve itself with the Cox license.

As for the deactivation, there should be...or used to be...a program in your Cox account under McAfee to properly deactivate and remove McAfee from your computer.  After its removed, reinstall.

KimB
      New Contributor

The 2 issues are related. The Cox McAfee does not expire. I deactivated the entire account, thinking that I was deactivating my old laptop. This caused all of our There is an "Activate" button on the Cox.com/securitysuite page give me the " We're sorry, we cannot activate your Cox Security Suite now. Please give it another try. Need help? ..."  error. The "Activate" button is supposed to give me the options to manage which computers are active under the subscription, and the ability to download, but that's not happening. Getting my Cox McAfee subscription reactivated is all that I need.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Oh, you deactivated within your Cox account.  You'd need to send an email to cox.help@cox.com with your full name and complete address.

You're correct.  Cox has a domain-wide license with McAfee for us to use McAfee....so it shouldn't expire.  However, when our clients try to authenticate our subscription with Cox (license), it sometimes gets glitchy.