Forum Discussion

macw
New Contributor
10 years ago

belkin N600

My belkin router has been working fine for over a year and today its not working.

Cox shows an alert about belkin router and to contact belkin. $39 later I am being told by belkin, its a cox issue.

Can someone tell me what the real issue is? Do I need to by a new router to get my wireless internet going?

Cox seems to know what the issue is but just tells you to contact belkin. :(

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

First, what model Belkin router do you have?

Second, what alert about belkin routers?

Last, what is the general problem? Is it just wireless, or wired too? If just wireless, can you atleast see the network?

macw
    New Contributor

N600 belkin router both wireless and wired connections not working.

alert

Summary

Customers connected to Belkin routers may experience issues connecting to the Internet.

Detail

If you are experiencing issues connecting to the Internet, please check to see if you have a Belkin router. Belkin is working to resolve a known issue with their wireless routers. Please contact Belkin directly for support.

For Internet access, try disconnecting the cable from your router and plugging it into your computer, then unplug your modem's power and plug it back in to reset the modem.
    Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

Ahh, I see. I found this on their support site too. Current work around is to use a static DNS. 

My guess is Cox only knows about it because of Customers calling up and telling them. I don't even think they sell Belkin routers in their stores, though correct me if I am wrong. Their own support page says it effected multiple ISP, so I don't see how it can be a Cox issue. Sounds more like another firmware exploit that is redirecting DNS but Belkin doesn't want to own up.

::Edit:: Did some digging on redit and seems its a issue with a feature on the router that sends ICMP back to Belkin via heartbeat.belkin.com. If it can't, it disables the internet? Sounds kind of absurd to me, but maybe part of a cloud feature?

ITHeadache
    New Contributor

The solution link http://belkininternationalinc.statuspage.io/ sets-off malware warnings.  It appears to have a redirect. How's that for a solution?  Have the MAL virus.

Set Connnection Type from Dynamic to Static as a workaround.

1. Reboot your router.

2. open your router setup, newer Belkins are accessed from 192.168.2.1 (type in your browser's address bar)

3. Before changing from Dynamic to Static write down (or print screen) the following:  
    (from Internet Settings)
    WAN IP Address
    WAN Subnet Mask
    WAN Gateway
    DNS Address (you will need two of them) The Belkin solution suggested to use Google's dns 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4  Your ISP's choice should work fine.

4.Now click on Connection Type and choose Static,  enter your values from step 3.  (my router required an extra step to change the DNS settings, it was a green link below the WAN Gateway entry boxes)

5. Reboot your router.  

You should be good to go until your ISP changes your WAN IP Address. 

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

ITHeadache said:
    The solution link http://belkininternationalinc.statuspage.io/ sets-off malware warnings.  It appears to have a redirect. How's that for a solution?  Have the MAL virus.

LOL. Its legit. What do you use for AV? Just got to Belkin.com and see the link for yourself. It will be in a gold bar across the top.

And if you look, you will see that Belkin suggest changing the DNS on the client level, because of the DHCP problem you pointed out. Their solution is

Windows 
    Begin by clicking Windows Logo > Control Panel. 
    Click Network and Internet. 
    Click on Network & Sharing Center. 
    Click the name of the connection you wish the edit, to the right of Connections. 
    Click Properties. 
    Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties. 
    Click the radio button next to Use the following DNS server addresses:. This will allow you to enter the DNS server addresses. 
    The DNS addresses are as follows: 
    Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8 
    Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4 
    Click OK on each of the windows and close the Control Panel. Your computer is now configured to use statically assigned DNS server addresses.  

macw
    New Contributor

Ok Thank you

I will try setting router DNS to static for now.

ITHeadache
    New Contributor

I got in, a few hours ago, with the link you provided.  Now the link gives me warnings.  Who knows? It's most likely false warnings.  At any rate, it sounds as if Belkin is under attack.  I run a bunch of AV stuff.  It's Avast that is unhappy.

Would it be any skin off of Cox's back to provide a solution page or memo?  "You need to set your router to Static and here are links to our local WAN settings:..."

I feel for the guys and gals that paid for tech support and it was the wrong advice.

---Move over Coffee, it's time for alcohol.

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

ITHeadache said:
    I feel for the guys and gals that paid for tech support and it was the wrong advice.

I feel for anyone using a belkin product.