Forum Discussion

greathusky
New Contributor
5 years ago

Equipment Upgrade Needed?

I have a Technicolor DPQ3212 modem connected to a Belkin N600 DB Wireless N+ Router Model F9K1102V2.

My speed test from the COX site has download 94.6 mps and download 11.0 mps.

My WIFI speed test from my iPhone has download of 23.8 mps and upload of 10.5 mps.

I have two IPhones using the WIFI. We do not do any gaming.

I have run a modem reset resulting in no change to the speeds.

I am signed up for the 150 Preferred package.

I do see an offer for a free modem upgrade from the COX site but am not sure if this will fix the problem.

Where do I get started getting to the speed that I pay for?

10 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Are you doing your speed tests directly wired to the modem?

greathusky
      New Contributor

I have a yellow wire connected from the cable modem to the Belkin box. There is a blue wire connecting the BELKIN box to the back of the desktop. Should it be wired differently? That's how COX set it up.

bearone2
    Contributor III

my wi-fi dl speed checks/panoramic 300 are lower for 6+ iphone-241/31.5 than note5-310/31.67 from same era.

greathusky
      New Contributor

I am using COX phone. Don't know how old the router is.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

It's set up fine; however, to perform a speed test, you need to connect your desktop directly to the modem.  You want to test the throughput of only your outside connection, so you don't want any part of your network (router) involved in the test.

We just want to ensure you're getting ~150 Mbps from Cox.

greathusky
      New Contributor

Wow!  I did a direct connect to the desktop and disconnected the Belkin router. The speed on the desktop went to 179.0 mps download and 11.0 mps upload.

So it looks like the Belkin router is the culprit.

Any recommendations on how to attach a wireless router so I can use WIFI but keep this new speed for the desktop?

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

The Belkin is not a culprit because it's doing what it's supposed to do.

Internet speed will be limited to the lowest-rated component of your connected devices...aka, chokepoints.

I researched the specs of your equipment.  The LAN port on your Belkin is Fast Ethernet with a max throughput of 100 Mbps.  The WAN port on your DPQ3212, however, is Gigabit Ethernet with a max throughput of 1000 Mbps.

If your speed test measured 94.6 Mbps through the Belkin, it's a good test because the Belkin is limited to 100 Mbps.  You can't get 150 through a 100 Mbps port.

179 Mbps is good on a 150 plan.  Cox is using "excess capacity" to provide temporary speed bursts at the beginning of your downloads.