Forum Discussion

CoxSBHighPacket
New Contributor
6 years ago

Packet loss and internet drop outs, high uncorrectables, issue present on multiple modems, SB6183, SB6121, Dynamic Range Window violation

Issue present is intermittent packet loss as well as disconnection of internet entirely.  High latency as well.  Issue is present whether directly connect to modem or via router through a hardwire or wireless.  Two modems (SB6183, SB6121) present same issue of packet loss and disconnection.  Internet paid for is 30down/3up.  Speeds have no issue when connection is working, speedtest.net shows 30/3.  Modem shows very high numbers of uncorrectables, in the millions, on several channels.  Modem logs show Dynamic Range Window violation over and over.  A tech has been out and put new ends on the cabling except for the pole.  Connection is a straight shot from Cox pole to the house.  It connects to a grounding block and then a cable goes from there directly to the modem.  No wallplates, splitters, etc.

Since tech support is useless I am reaching out via the forum.  Resetting my modem will not do anything and the signal levels look great whenever I call.

The tech saw the dropouts (hardwired computer running ping tests to the internet, packet loss and disconnection occured) occur after he redid connections and was not able to help further.

Any advice or solution would be appreciated.  Any logs required will be given.

5 Replies

OpenBSD
    Contributor II

Post your modem SB6183 modem readings. Downstream, upstream and error logs. Also was the tech at your house a Cox contractor?

CoxSBHighPacket
      New Contributor

It was a tech sent out by Cox, however they did not appear to be an actual Cox employed technician.

OpenBSD
        Contributor II

Your downstream power levels are too high. If you are seeing 7 or higher you will have internet issues. The closer to 0 they are the better.

You will see information online reference acceptable power levels for qam256 - 15 dBmV to + 15 dBmV. It just means cable modems are required to support these power levels. These numbers are bogus. If you are seeing 7 or higher they are too high.

Reference the Cox tech that was at your house. Most likely you had a Cox contractor and not an actual Cox employee that gets paid hourly by Cox. These contractors get paid by the job. The quicker they get finished the better it is for them.

I had one recently come to my house and he tried to cut some corners. I asked him countless questions and a lot were work related. He specifically told me he gets paid by the job. He said he looked into getting employed by Cox but he said he makes more money as a contractor but doesn't get the benefits (medical/dental etc) that an actual Cox employee would that gets paid hourly.

• Hello,

Please email our support at Cox.Help@cox.com, so we can take a follow-up look at this for you! With your email, please include a link to this forums as well.

Thanks,

Dustin
    Cox Forums Support Moderator