Forum Discussion

sph
New Contributor III
7 years ago
Solved

Was there a range of IPs deactivated?

Lost internet connection couple of days ago - was sudden as I was on it one second and no service the next - went through all the standard trouble shooting actions to no joy - cox customer service assessed my outage to my modem (and wanted $179 for a new one) - had my doubts so after waiting for service to return (3 hours) wanted to narrow down what the issue was (ISP or modem?) - so I borrowed my neighbors modem and plugged it in - a new IP was acquired and connection was successful - joy - when I plugged my modem back in, guess what, works like a charm :-)

So my question is - did cox deactivate a range of IP addresses?  Why did my previous IP address suddenly become inactive / unresponsive?

• The question asked does not relate to the modem, as the modem turned out to be just fine as stated in OP - my question is "Was there a range of IPs deactivated?"  ColleenD's response above seems to indicate this is possible - so for those reading this that may have experienced an internet outage due to "modem failure" - my advice would be to check to make sure it really is the modem, and not something cox related.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    sph
    New Contributor III

The question asked does not relate to the modem, as the modem turned out to be just fine as stated in OP - my question is "Was there a range of IPs deactivated?"  ColleenD's response above seems to indicate this is possible - so for those reading this that may have experienced an internet outage due to "modem failure" - my advice would be to check to make sure it really is the modem, and not something cox related.

Swamper
    New Contributor III

Cox seems to do that from time to time just to keep people guessing. An easy way to get $179 from the unsuspecting. If it ain't broke they gotta fix it.

• Sph, since our residential service is addressed dynamically, it's possible, though I haven't heard reports of it. It's possible you left your modem disconnected long enough for it to pull a new address when you reconnected it. -Colleen
      sph
      New Contributor III

I might agree, however, prior to plugging in my neighbor's modem mine was still unable to connect, so it was the new modem that obtained successful connection (via newly acquired IP), which was retained upon reconnecting my modem.  Very strange to say the least... is swamper onto something?

BTW - my DHCP server IP is static, as it has remained the same since acquired on 4/3.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Reading your troubleshooting actions, I believe your natural instincts and suspicious would conclude a faulty modem.

sph
      New Contributor III

Yes, on the surface one might assume it to be a modem issue (as cox support did), bc most might not dig deeper - turned out to be an ip issue - as the "bad" modem works great with newly acquired ip.