Forum Discussion

Dave9
Contributor III
4 years ago
Solved

Upstream issues getting worse

Having issues with T3 timeouts and packet loss since Monday. It's getting worse. Now seeing multiple T3 timeouts per hour causing average of 3-5% packet loss up to maximum of 10% packet loss. Modem and cable are both almost brand new. Nothing has changed on my end. This appears to be an issue with the Cox network infrastructure. I've had similar problems before and they fixed themselves after a while, but I need a reliable connection ASAP. Please advise of any known issues and ETA for repair.

Downstream signals and error counts are excellent. Upstream power levels are normal (38-40 dBmV). This appears to be an intermittent issue with the upstream connection, possibly due to RF ingress.

• Final update: my issue has been fully resolved. Cox followed up with me, and it was exactly what I thought it was (RF ingress on the node). This was repaired free of charge.

So if you're having similar problems, call for a tech and don't be scared off by the talk of a $75 fee. Look at it this way: if it's a Cox problem, you'll get your problem fixed and won't have to keep asking for help on the forums. And if it's a problem in your equipment, you can get it fixed for $75 which is a very low fee for on-site technical services. So either way you get your problem fixed. It's good to post here so you can get advice from others, but once you've ruled out your own equipment, call for a tech and get your problem fixed.

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Dave9
    Contributor III

Final update: my issue has been fully resolved. Cox followed up with me, and it was exactly what I thought it was (RF ingress on the node). This was repaired free of charge.

So if you're having similar problems, call for a tech and don't be scared off by the talk of a $75 fee. Look at it this way: if it's a Cox problem, you'll get your problem fixed and won't have to keep asking for help on the forums. And if it's a problem in your equipment, you can get it fixed for $75 which is a very low fee for on-site technical services. So either way you get your problem fixed. It's good to post here so you can get advice from others, but once you've ruled out your own equipment, call for a tech and get your problem fixed.

• @Dave9, Your modem is reporting some time out errors. Are there any splitters or signal amps on the cable line going to the modem? -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Dave9
      Contributor III

No, it's a straight connection all the way to the demarc. All indoor cables have been replaced. Everything was working perfectly until Monday.

JonathanJ
        Former Moderator
        @Dave9

Since there aren't any splitters or amp we may need to schedule a technician out. Please email your full name and address to cox.help@cox.com. Also, include a link to this thread.

Jonathan J
        Cox Moderator
    Dave9
    Contributor III

Following up, Cox tech arrived and knew exactly what they were doing. They checked the signals at the pole and confirmed that it's an issue at the Cox plant. They opened a ticket to get that problem corrected and said it should be fixed within a couple of days. Moral of the story is: if you're confident enough in your technical skills to rule out problems with your equipment, call for a tech and don't be scared off by the fear of a $75 charge. I'll post one final update after I've confirmed that the issue is resolved.