Forum Discussion

Sub12345
New Contributor II
11 months ago

Upgrade to 500Mbps

On 6/29, I received email from Cox informing me that my Internet service speed has been increased from 250Mbps to 500Mbps. According to this email, all I need to do to see the speed increase is reset my modem. I have done that several times since, including once today. I'm still at ~250Mbps. I have a Cox-supplied Arris TM3402A, which according to information on the Cox website should be capable of 1Gbps. I contacted support via chat, and the representative tried to sell me a new modem. I declined. My service seems to be fine at 250Mbps and I cannot justify the additional expense. But I'm curious, what is going on?

Thanks.

8 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

You may want to join the conversation on this post. I think the speed was increased before individual areas where ready for the upgrade. May I ask what state you are in?

Sub12345
      New Contributor II

I'm in the Gainesville, FL area. Thanks for the link, I'll look at that thread.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Haven't heard anything about Florida other then they were one of the last to get the upstream OFDMA channel upgrade.

If you don't hear anything from a moderator soon email them at cox.help@cox.com with your account info and a link to this thread. Ask them to check the configuration file on your modem and make sure it's the new 500Mbps one.

Sub12345
    New Contributor II

Issue resolved. After determining that my router running OpenWRT was the bottleneck, I found a misconfiguration in the QOS settings. All is well now.

Many thanks to the crew at CoxHelp.

• Hi Sub12345. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp via DM, visit us on Facebook via private message, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Unless Cox is either planning to eliminate or lower the price of the 250 plan, I don't know why they'd automatically assume you'd want it.  However, Cox shouldn't increase your price.  Keep an eye on your bill.