Forum Discussion

UncleSugar
New Contributor
7 years ago

Unable to Download Email

Commencing this past Friday morning (February 2) I have been encountering an ongoing problem—not yet solved--with the downloading of my Cox email to my PC’s Mozilla Thunderbird email client software. Whenever I attempt to retrieve my messages, I receive the following pop-up error message:

"The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server pop.cox.net responded: message 2 expunged.”

Consequently I’m unable to download/view any incoming emails using Mozilla Thunderbird.

Once this started happening, I went directly to my webmail account at the Cox website to check out the server situation there—and experienced further issues. I identified one specific email message in my inbox at the Cox server which posed the following difficulties:

• Whenever I tried to open this particular email to read, a pop-up error message would display, advising, “Error while loading message content. Folder “INBOX” has been closed on mail server 127.0.0.1. Probably your request took too long.”
  • Whenever I tried to delete  this particular message (and move to Trash) another pop-up error message would display, advising, "Error. This message could not be moved to trash folder, possibly because your mailboxIs nearly full. In that case, please try to empty your deleted items first, or delete smaller messages first.” 

Cox Technical Support has been totally ineffective in correcting the above described email problem. Since this past Friday, I have had four separate contacts with Cox Tier 2 Tech Support concerning this matter, as follows:

• Problem initially referred to Tier 2 Support Friday morning, February 2 for resolution. I provided Tier 2 representative with my email password so he could attempt to delete the problem inbox email message mentioned above; however, he too was unable to accomplish. Assigned ticket number to issue; Cox Tier 2 rep assured follow up action will be taken to fix.
  • Contacted Cox Tier 2 Tech Support again on Saturday, February 3, as problem not corrected. Tier 2 rep advised that my email problem was a “known issue” and had been escalated to Cox’s “email team.”
  • Contacted Cox Tier 2 Tech Support again on Monday, February 5, as problem not corrected. Tier 2 rep told me once again that my encountered email situation was “known issue” and that many other Cox customers were similarly affected. However, he indicated that an immediate fix was on the way involving a special “auto-loop” program that Cox would be running on their email server(s).  Accordingly, rep indicated that my email problem should be corrected by tomorrow afternoon. Tier 2 rep also assigned a “secondary ticket number” to my issue.
  • Tuesday late afternoon, February 6: problem still evident. Contacted Cox Tier 2 Tech Support once again. This time the rep gave me a different update. Yes, my problem was indeed a “known issue involving time outs” (whatever that means), but unfortunately there is no immediate solution. Apparently it can’t be fixed until Cox completes a “total migration of all email accounts to new hardware servers,” and as yet they don’t have a firm date as to when this migration effort will be fully accomplished. In response to my query, rep advised my particular email account has already migrated to a new server, and she was unable to help me any further.  At this juncture, I requested to speak to a supervisor. I was connected to a supervisor named David; he too corroborated this new information—that my problem couldn’t be fixed until the aforementioned migration of Cox email accounts was 100 percent completed; moreover, he couldn’t furnish an estimated date for such completion. 

Bottom line, the latest information received from Cox Technical Support is unacceptable, and, assuming this post is read by the Cox Help Team, I would desire this issue be escalated further for resolution. I’ve noted that other Cox customers have already reported the identical problem on this forum. That’s why I’ve gone into considerable detail to describe—and the wholly useless and unhelpful Cox responses thus far.

13 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion